Is there a dwarf broccoli? (and Romanesque failure)

• 13 Replies

Spr0ut

Is there a broccoli or calabrese that does not turn into a cubic yard monster of stems and leaves with a few clusters of florets?

The ones I grew this year tasted good but they made netting impossible as they matured as they were heaving the nets up.

Also I grew a Romanesque cauliflower hoping for a low growing plant with a green spiralling flower heart but it came up like broccoli and with very few florets. Did I get the wrong idea about Romanesque?

jaydig

Re: Is there a dwarf broccoli? (and Romanesque failure)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 19:32 »
I've tried to grow them more than once, and always been disappointed. Big plant with tiny little floret, or florets, nothing like the decent sized head illustrated on the packet. I can grow cauliflowers, so what's different about growing Romanesco?

Spr0ut

Is Calabrese more compact than Broccoli?

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 20:15 »
calabrese is a single head in my experience, but can bolt easily.  Brocolli (PSB) is lots of cut and come again florets.  My plot neighbour grew huge romanesque last year (matured in Jan) so am having a go, mine look good about as large as my psb currently but no head yet.

Spr0ut

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 20:49 »
So do you net broccoli but with a much higher net height - say five feet. This would be  good two feet higher than my normal brassica net for kale, caulis, swedes etc.?

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 21:24 »
4ft should do it.  I start with low netting bunched up at the sides as a sluggy barrier, gradually increasing the height by shoving sticks with upended actimel bottles under it, stones all around to anchor.  Net can come off in Oct anyway when they get big, and I leave bits just hanging over each plant.... like a hat  :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 22:22 »
can't take nets off here - the pigeons would have them straight away  :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 07:56 »
I've grown the baby broccoli Matsuri from here before and it really is dwarf  :)

http://www.seedsofdistinction.co.uk/vegetables/broccoli-brussel-sprouts-cabbages-cauliflowers

Runs away quick before she gets accused of sending the seedaholics off again with yet another seed website  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 08:41 »
Norty girl  :nowink:

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 11:44 »
Not wishing to boast (well, just a little bit) my summer calabrese has had the largest heads I've ever had. They were about 7" diameter, plus many side-shoots still forming. I have grown Romanesque in the distant past and that had a large, whorled central head, so unless your variety of broccoli is a winter one, I don't know why you haven't got a central head unless there is a variety that doesn't form one, and not sure about the Romanesque.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 23:13 »
I grow Kabuki a calebrase, summer cropping, doesn't grow tall, good size Central head and then lots of side shoots, still cropping now.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 07:58 »
I now have decent metal hoops and extension poles to make a 4-5ft 'tunnel' with insect netting over my PSB - which is thigh height currently  :)

Wasn't cheap, but the hoops etc were an investment. Got from Harrod Horticulture  :)
Should last me years ;) :)
I've never see a dwarf variety of broccoli  :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:00 by devonbarmygardener »

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 08:58 »
As far as I can tell, Romanesco are a bit like caulis: you're more likely to get a decent head in January than in the summer. I grew some T&M summer Romanesco and they were a disaster, but I always get a good head off over-wintered ones.

And yes, broccoli (Calabrese) is usually more compact than Romanesco, which have huge leaves in comparison with broccoli in my experience.

Thanks to New Shoot and Comfreypatch for their recommendations. Which one did you grow, Goosegirl'

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 16:33 »
Mine are pushing on the debris netting at 4ft, am waiting for the flutterbys to go away so I can change it for more open mesh net and up the height a bit- I've got old tent poles (in hoops) stuck in bits of tube in the ground, so can increase the height by swopping the tube out but the debris netting doesn't have enough 'girth' to do that with.
Go away cabbage whites!

xx
Romanesque broccoli

Started by Catherine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 19:10
by Catherine
xx
dwarf green bean failure

Started by lottienewbie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 20:17
by Jay Dubya
xx
Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 18:59
by Anton
xx
pea failure

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:49
by chris23005

Page created in 0.688 seconds with 29 queries.