brussell sprouts

• 7 Replies

chrissie B

brussell sprouts
« on: July 24, 2014, 14:05 »
ther sprouts on the top of my plants are a bit loose is there any thing I can do , do I take em off can I use them now as little cabbages ?not grown sprouts before .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

BabbyAnn

Re: brussell sprouts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 15:49 »
I wouldn't have thought the sprouts were developed now  ???  Perhaps post a piccie?

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 19:10 »
they have but the top ones are not tight they look like a loose cabbage .
chrissie b

beesrus

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 19:49 »
Brussels are one of those brassicas that are difficult to grow well first time, unless you have the perfect ground and are lucky.
Blown sprouts are a sign of them being under stress from quite a few issues, from being blown around in the wind, lack of water, being attacked badly by pests, to not having the right nutrients, especially nitrogen.

You can eat the blown sprouts no problem, very tasty, but not why we all grow them of course. Maybe you could give them some BFB or chicken pellets and give them a good soaking, and the later sprouts might hold their shape, but it's likely now most of them will also blow somewhat and/or be quite small, but you never know. No matter, we all double our efforts and make sure we do better next year.

I had terrible brussels three years ago when I first gave them a go after being badgered relentlessly to grow them. Last year was only a little better, so I really concentrated on them this year, especially making sure the bed was as perfect as I could make it. And it's worked. This year, they're fantastic so far, and look like they'll be the real Mccoy.  I have cheated a little in my mind by growing an F1 variety, but it's helped. 
Some plants will grow reasonably well with little effort. Brussels need the right conditions to grow like the shop veg.  They like a bed that supplies good amounts of water, loads of nitrogen, a very firm soil, and a good start in life in their pots. And a very good netting to keep the early pests at bay. My bed also got a big manuring in the Autumn, limed a little in the Spring, and a large dressing of chicken manure just before planting. Classic brassica prep.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 19:52 by beesrus »

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 11:23 »
I agree with beesrus, particularly with regards to a firm soil as this is one of the main reasons for them blowing. When planting them, they need a firm bed then to be really well-firmed in the soil by either treading carefully around the plant or by using your fists to hammer them in.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 14:11 »
I actually find that the enviromesh I use to keep off the birds and cabbage whites is also excellent as a windbreak and for stopping any wind rock at all of my brussels. Everything underneath that mesh is cozy, thay all become as one... united we stand, divided we fall :D. It's the perfect aid, if a little unsightly. One of the best investments a grower can make.

RaptorUK

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 15:03 »
I agree with beesrus, particularly with regards to a firm soil as this is one of the main reasons for them blowing. When planting them, they need a firm bed then to be really well-firmed in the soil by either treading carefully around the plant or by using your fists to hammer them in.

Or use a lump hammer to firm them in,  no I'm not kidding. It was a suggestion I read on another forum and have used it, seems to have done the trick so far this year.  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 21:45 »
I have half a ton of chicken poo so I will do it first thing and eat the blown ones , hate waste thanks for the help .
chrissie b

xx
brussell sprouts

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 18, 2016, 13:22
by arh
xx
sprouts

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 11:08
by m1ckz
xx
sprouts

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 12:19
by chrissie B
xx
sprouts

Started by pushrod on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 14:35
by Sheriff Sprout

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 35 queries.