Possible hanging basket plant for windy places.

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

Possible hanging basket plant for windy places.
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:49 »
I thought I'd try Scaveola along with begonias in my baskets this year and, although you don't get masses of flowers, so far they seem to have done really well including surviving the high winds we had here yesterday. Just a thought for next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Goosegirl

Re: Possible hanging basket plant for windy places.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 13:11 »
Just an update - they are doing really well and have more flowers now. Next year I will plant them lower down as the stems curl upwards, but am really pleased they haven't succumbed to any winds like lobelia does here.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 20:50 »
GG - after many failures to high, salty winds, and lots of trial and error as I'm sure you can imagine, I find the most tolerant basket and container plants are the good old Pelargoniums - trailing and otherwise.  And I get to keep them over the winter and re-use each year - hoorah!  Also Begonias do well (as you know already).  Surprisingly, also, trailing Lobelia does OK - both my hanging baskets are stuffed full this year with Begonias, Pelargoniums and Lobelia.  Oh, and I put a few spare Mesembryanthemum in them and they have done well too - another plant I found doesn't mind the wind or the salt spray.  Plants to avoid are Petunias (slugs love them and they don't like the wind either).   It's great when you find something that does work though  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:37 »
Hi Lesleyk - good to hear from you! For some reason, I've never been that successful with pelargoniums in hanging baskets as they didn't seem to flourish and the stems got broken by the basket knocking against the window in windy weather. Having said that, I might just try them again next year because I used Miracle-Grow compost with feed and water-retaining granules, and it has been very successful. I've not forgotten about your two grasses but this year they seem to have produced very little growth; however, I'll see what I can do later on.

xx
Plants for wall basket in windy place?

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 18:03
by fatcat1955
xx
what plants for a hanging basket?

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 12:25
by Goosegirl
xx
hanging basket plants

Started by totalnovice on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 20:47
by totalnovice
xx
Hanging Basket Suppliers ?

Started by fatgit on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 11:38
by fatgit

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.