Leeks

• 3 Replies

colin120

• Experienced Member
Leeks
« on: July 18, 2014, 22:32 »
Planted 12 leek seedlings, did the way I saw on YouTube   by using a dippler  then put leeks in fill up with water then as you water the leeks the soil will run into the holes.

Well the slugs got to my leeks before I could water them again now only have two left.

found the slugs in the holes, the person in the next plot filled his holes and still has all his leeks,

So whats the best way to plant leeks with holes or just plant normally ???

JohnB47

Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 22:51 »
I've sometimes found slugs hiding in the holes I've dibbed leeks into but I've never found that they've eaten them to destruction. 

Perhaps there's another cause? Saying that, I do sprinkle slug pellets (sparingly) around the plot, particularly when I've just planted some things in and watered them in - I think slugs and snails home in on moist areas, particularly when it's been dry for a while.

Edit: one more thing - I always sprinkle a bit of soil or compost into the hole, along with a few grains of chicken manure, when I slot the leeks in. I can't see why it can be good for any plant to have it just plopped into a hole and its roots left uncovered until the soil starts to fall onto them. Seems designed to set them back somehow. Then again, I plant relatively few and if I planted hundreds, I'd probably just dib them in and leave them to it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 23:01 by JohnB47 »

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 22:53 »
Are you sure the slugs ate the leeks? They don't normally like any members of the allium family although I've heard they can be attracted to newly emerged seedlings.

I have a healthy slug population in the garden but they never go anywhere near leeks, onions, garlic, etc.

and to answer your question I make a hole with a dibber, drop the plant into it then water well. Been doing it for donkey's years and never lost a leek yet!

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 23:05 »
Are you sure the slugs ate the leeks? They don't normally like any members of the allium family although I've heard they can be attracted to newly emerged seedlings.

I have a healthy slug population in the garden but they never go anywhere near leeks, onions, garlic, etc.

and to answer your question I make a hole with a dibber, drop the plant into it then water well. Been doing it for donkey's years and never lost a leek yet!

I've found that slugs and snails can cause havoc with the tops of alliums if it has been dry for a while then goes wet.

xx
Leeks

Started by wilbzfishing on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 13:06
by ryetek
xx
leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 08:39
by Brassica Blaz
xx
Leeks

Started by Firstyear on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 12, 2019, 07:31
by Growster...
xx
nowhere to put my leeks!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 15:07
by aelf

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 36 queries.