So exicted

• 17 Replies

Neelam

So exicted
« on: July 18, 2014, 13:36 »
Finally, after over a year of research and preparation tomorrow is my big day!
Than I will get my first three girls (Sussex) and suddenly I feel like caught on the hop...  :wub:

Coop is waiting, run is ready, names are chosen...

I almost feel like being due to deliver a baby, lol.

Any advice from you how to deal with the girls in the first days? They will be delivered by "happychicks" around lunchtime so I guess they will be a bit "stressed" from being caught, packed, transported, new environment, but locking them in the coop for the rest of the long day doesn't sound nice to me, too.

Thanks for your advice!
Neelam

snow white

Re: So exicted
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 19:26 »
Locking them in the coop for a day will make them feel safe.  In fact they may be reluctant to come out the next day.  It also shows them where they are to live.  Please make sure they do not over heat. Shade the coop if poss. Plenty of food and water in with them.  Welcome to the world of chickens..:-)

grinling

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 22:23 »
Obviously the coop is rat/fox proof and the feeders are hung. Have grit available and oyster as well if POL.
Not too many treats and greens available, though not cut/pulled grass.
Try to get them use to corn mix in a plastic tub being shaken and reward so that when allowed out you can get them back in,,,shake pot, chooks respond, throw into run and lock them in.

Neelam

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:00 »

They are really, really here now!  :D

Welcome to Margarete, Margot and Magda!

And thanks to you all and your support!

Neelam

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 15:13 »
lovely, good luck with them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 15:34 »
The hen front and centre looks ready to lay the hen on the left needs the comb to colour before shes ready.

No fighting over the first egg!  :D

Neelam

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 17:00 »
@8doubles, I am confused.... How can you tell the hen front and center looks ready to lay? The third one is only a tail to be seen, can you tell by the tail, too????  :unsure:

There won't be any fights overe the first egg... I will quietly gobble it up myself...  :D

The one you can only see the tail started eating first thing after putting the food back in! As if she didn't eat in ages and the second one followed, the third I haven't seen then. Last thing I've seen when I had a glimpse an hour ago was that they are all cuddled up in the one nest box. I hope they will use their perches, too.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 18:00 »
Are they supposed to be the same age?
The one in front has red wattles and comb and this indicates a hen which is laying, whereas the one behind still has little ones which aren't red. Alternative is the one in front is a cockerel.
If they continue to sleep in the nest box put something in to block it off. Bluey was from a place which hatch in large numbers so had never seen a perch or hen house. Took sometime for her to learn to use a perch and not the roof.
Check each of them for lice, but it could be useful to dust anyway; some people do use the cat flea treatment but it isn't licensed for chooks.

Neelam

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 21:34 »
 :wacko: Oh! I got it now!  :lol:
Because of "front and center" I made it two hens although it is clearly written "hen"...
That's why I got confused as then it sounded to me like the third hen on the right is included... (or the cheeky one behind the bars...)

I was told that the hens are all between 14 weeks and point of lay age, so 2 of them seem to be a bit younger than the one in front, as their wattles and comb a both not red and little compared to this one.

I guess, I will soon find out and I hope I find a difference in them to tell them apart.

Ok, should I give them a few days to settle in proper before I dust them or should I use the advantage of them feeling comfortable in the coop and not running around?

At least my children had already to learn, that the hens do not accept anyone else to cackle but themselves  :tongue2:
When my 3.5 years old daughter peeped through the ventilation window and cackled with her little brother the hens straight away started cackling inside, too, and poor girl got scared as obviously our rabbits do not argue with her if she tries to bounce and hop like a rabbit, they are quiet.

I certainly have to get screening towards the neighbours where the coop and run are placed to as the two little neighbour boys, too, tried to peep through the mesh wire fence and get a glimpse of our new family members. If they keep hanging on it I am sure, it will not take them long before the wire is coming down.

However, I am looking forward having a great time with my three girls.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 19:58 »
Is the hen house inside a secured run area for the chickens?
Can you put piccys up of the run/house area?
Now would be a good time to get  feedback on the setup before winter comes.
If possible in early evening handle each bird and with it on your lap, check under wings, back of neck, tummy and vent area for little moving creatures yellow in colour and smaller than rice.
Also useful for them to get handled. In my run I use an old sandpit with soil/ash and louse powder in it and the chooks use that if not allowed out.
Are they on grower pellets?

Neelam

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 23:33 »

Ok, it is a coop with integrated run which is fox proof.
The part in front, where you can see the chickens was supposed to be entirely closed but our handyman who was supposed to get me the materials (as I don't have a car) got stuck with his work and couldn't drop it last week as wanted so the secure part is actually very small. Usually just enough for 1 hen.
I am planning to have this part covered with those PVC corrugated roofing so light gets through but rain stays (mostly) out. I have checked the amount of sunlight in this spot of the garden for almost a week and can say, it is the one with the least direct sunlight now in summer but still sun enough in winter, meaning, they have most sun in the late afternoon when the heat is not as bad as around noon and early afternoon, but therefore longer than in the morning, as it is east side and there is no fence panel on the west side towards our neighbour as she is so kind to throw her lawn cuttings over the fence for my rabbits (they have the west side), so sunset in full length for all of them.

Besides that they are supposed to free range, that is why I didn't choose a bigger run attached to the coop.
Altogether the part that has to be enclosed plus the attached run it's about 6sqm. That is, unfortunately, what they have to be happy with if I am not at home. Luckily for them, that almost never happens and if, only for a max of 3 hours that I had to put them in.

If I knew, that neither they would harm the rabbits (eyes especially) nor would the rabbits harm them, I had kept it open as the rabbit's side offers quite a lot of nice slugs (I have my heap there from the rabbits bedding, hay and straw, nothing else).

Well. Winter. Yes, I thought about this much more, after the girls seemed they did not really know what to do with the perches above their heads and when standing on the floor the ventilation windows on both side would be exactly their head height which I guess is not healthy, though it should be relatively draught free as they are direct next to the fence, have 2 6ft fence panels plus a tree in their back where one window is and screening on the long side with three ventilation holes that I cannot close (unfortunately, I haven't noticed them when choosing the coop). So, this morning, two of the hens had finally found the perches so I hope, number three will join them in the long run.

With my rabbits I am used to putting an extra layer bedding and straw in their housings (colony) so I assume this should do for the chickens, too?

But to be honest, already, now that the chickens are really here, I think, the coop is too small even though it has 0.7 sqm ground for them and the perches higher than the nest box (which had been the two main reasons that I've chosen it).

However, I think, I let my husband "digest" for a while that for all the months I was talking, reading, researching about chicken keeping I really was serious about it and than get a wooden shed or probably rather one of those bike sheds as you can open them fully which certainly makes it easier to clean. If I would do it straight away, I am sure, he would get kind of angry although I don't see the actual coop as a loss, I am sure, I will not stick to only three hens... (but this I won't tell hubby right now...  ::)   )

And food, yes, they are on grower pellets and I wonder, how long I should feed them before changing to layer pellets as they are definitively all of different age looking at their combs and wattles.

Thanks for your help!

Neelam

grinling

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21 »
will read later on, but quick glance
foxes will dig under fences, so wire(chicken or weld mesh) dug spade or spade +1/2 down and out so L shape formed with wire. This stops both rats and foxes digging in.
Growers until one lays, grit all the time and oyster when one lays. Useful tip is 2 flowerpots staked into ground so contents not knocked over.
If they are going to free range your neighbour has to stop giving free grass clippings as it can cause impacted crop and it also can cause fermentation in the tummy.
Coop does look a bit small, prob better for bantams, but useful if you need to quarrantine. I know someone who converted a wheely bin wood store into a coop with a pullout tray underneath and a nest box attached at front.
Give rabbits plenty of hidey places, mine ignore the guinea pig.

Neelam

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 10:32 »
Hello @grinling, would you have a picture of this converted wheely bin wood store? Sounds like another good alternative, too.

Yeah, coop is okay for them to sleep but no way of keeping them inside for more than the night.

So far, the hens and the rabbits do not share the same place so no access for the chickens to any grass cuttings but good to know if I ever open it up for both of them. For now I will wait and see, letting them free range in the garden together and see, how they get along with each other. Actually is more important to me, that the hens have plenty of time and peace to settle in properly before introducing them to the bunnies.

Thanks for your advice!

Neelam

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 12:15 »
Wishing you a great time with your hens. Its a wonderful world and lovely to have you here!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

grinling

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 22:17 »
Bought a bag of growers today as needed more layers, and on the bag it says do not give after 16 weeks due to  an ingredient in it to do with coccodis, so I will be changing them to layers and hopefully letting them out with the others...providing one hasn't crowed (still can't tell)!
Can't get a piccy of the house, but as it doesn't have a base he added a pullout tray consisting of a wooden surround with a metal base and this sits on 2 wooden battens in the shed. Other side he has cut a hole and made a nest box.
book recommend is Haynes Manual for chooks, lots of tips and advice.

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 37 queries.