What have you grown and wished you had never

• 19 Replies

Snoop

Re: What have you grown and wished you had never
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 18:04 »
Mine is horseradish, love it with beef, new garden first plant in ... had no idea about the invasive root system and how it wanders,  now have little plants popping up in leek bed and working it's way to the potato beds, must dig it out and restrain it. :lol:

Oops I bought a horseradish plant just yesterday from the plant lady at the local farmers market,been looking to get one for ages at DDs request of making our own horseradish sauce  :lol:. Lady who sold it to me advices putting it in a very large pot & sinking it in the ground. It is destined for the plot so I'll do a bit more research  :lol:

I read somewhere that a good way to grow it is in a toilet used as a pot. Very contained and very easy to push over if you decide you don't want it any more. Might look a bit strange on the plot, though.

As for physallis, I grew it once but never again. It was hugely productive, the only problem was I didn't like the taste. Weirdly sour and soapy flavour that my mouth rebelled against.

Top of Mr Snoop's list of undesirables would be spinach, but that's because I've never bothered trying to grow celery.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 18:30 »
Mine is horseradish, love it with beef, new garden first plant in ... had no idea about the invasive root system and how it wanders,  now have little plants popping up in leek bed and working it's way to the potato beds, must dig it out and restrain it. :lol:

first think that came to mind before I'd clicked into the post was bloomin' Horseradish!!

Had mine growing in a bottomless barrel in the back yard which, on trying to move, discovered the roots have anchored it to the ground through gaps in the concrete/steps

Took ages to clear out the barrel enough to lift it and chop them off... and now I've a new plants sprouting from the roots and I can't dig them out without excavating the concrete yard!  :ohmy:

going to glyphosate the new plants and hope that gets rid!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 19:07 »
I had some horseradish on the plot when I inherited it.  It took a couple of years of repeated glyphosate application, and covering the area with paving slabs to reduce the amount of light getting to it, but I finally did show it who was boss!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

beesrus

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 19:21 »
I think the poor old horseradish is far too much maligned. :) I love the stuff and is a year round addition to my food. I don't have a problem with it getting out of hand. The top soil on our well worked plots is no more than 2 feet deep before one hits bedrock, sometimes much less, so keeping invasive plants is not an issue.

I do have a few herbs though that aren't my cup of tea but can't bring myself to pull the plug. French taragon, dill etc, those sort of aniseed type flavour things. They look fine but just not my taste anymore.
Oh, and turnips ... can't think for the life of me why I ever bothered. This year was their swansong. They're now history.

JohnB47

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 22:19 »
Welsh onions. I have about ten plants, all growing well, producing seed heads and letting me crop their tops off and still coming back. It's just that i haven't decided how to use them -use the stalks, or the bulbs? I must have decided that they would be good to grow without first knowing what I'd use them for.

Oh, and sprouts.  I'm the only in the family that eats them and then only at Christmas.  Why on earth did I grow them for three years before stopping?

xx
Ever grown these before.....

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 22:40
by gobs
xx
Has anyone grown...

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 15:34
by Trillium
xx
What can I grown now?

Started by Manimal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 20:20
by Manimal
xx
Have you grown these

Started by seedman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 18:25
by seedman

Page created in 1.068 seconds with 36 queries.