What have you grown and wished you had never

• 19 Replies

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
What have you grown and wished you had never
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:29 »
Mine is horseradish, love it with beef, new garden first plant in ... had no idea about the invasive root system and how it wanders,  now have little plants popping up in leek bed and working it's way to the potato beds, must dig it out and restrain it. :lol:
:D I garden therefore I am

Fairy Plotmother

Re: What have you grown and wished you had never
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47 »
Beginning to think Gooseberries.  :mad: my three bushes have given very little fruit, it's their third year, they tear nearly every part of my body to shreds ...and I don't even like them. The Plotfather  and now the sawfly are the only ones to enjoy!

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:56 »
Mine is horseradish, love it with beef, new garden first plant in ... had no idea about the invasive root system and how it wanders,  now have little plants popping up in leek bed and working it's way to the potato beds, must dig it out and restrain it. :lol:

Oops I bought a horseradish plant just yesterday from the plant lady at the local farmers market,been looking to get one for ages at DDs request of making our own horseradish sauce  :lol:. Lady who sold it to me advices putting it in a very large pot & sinking it in the ground. It is destined for the plot so I'll do a bit more research  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:01 »
Another one of my disasters wild strawberries thought they would compliment the strawberry bed took it over more like hmmm I know why they call the wild, ferocious rambling little blighters fits them more, still only a newbie many more too come I am sure :lol: :lol:

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:14 »
The horseradish in a pot is a good idea, but bear in mind that the root will make it's way through the drain hole.

Well mine did, I had to give it quite a tug to get the pot free from the ground. I then had to dig the remains of the root out.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:31 »
Cucamelons - waste of space and foul.
Physallis - far too high plant to fruit ratio.
Flat leaf parsley - tasteless.
Jerusalem artichokes - 'nuff said.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:37 »

Tomatillo is my nemisis. In the greenhouse at least, possibly try again OUTSIDE! :nowink:

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

RaptorUK

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 12:22 »
Horsetail !   :D

Potatoes,  4 x 4 meter rows was far too many for us.

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 13:07 »
Sorrel ... I hate the stuff, hubby bought it >:( >:( is taking over our woodland area and grows like crazy.

Agree with Horseradish and Globe architchokes, wouldn't bother with them again.

Mind you I think OH has got it in for me as he also bought variegated ground elder :mad: :mad: :mad:
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 14:31 »
Cucamelons - waste of space and foul.
Physallis - far too high plant to fruit ratio.
Flat leaf parsley - tasteless.
Jerusalem artichokes - 'nuff said.

Physallis yes me too same thing planted outside too cold planted inside greenhouse too tall fruit supposed to taste like pineapples ... not the type I know  :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 14:38 »
This is probably a bit naughty, because it isn't anything you'd grow on your plot to eat, but a few years ago I bought a dainty little pot of euphorbia Fens Ruby. It ought to be banned - what a thug!! Sitting there in it's pot, looking so demure,  as if butter wouldn't melt, once set free it ran amock everywhere, even crossing from one side of the garden to the other, crossing a crazy paved path. It's managed to spread itself all round the garden, and I don't think I'll ever be rid of it.

As far as edibles go, I have never bothered to grow black salsify more than the once. It was inoffensive, but nothing to write home about, and my OH didn't like it, so that was that.

diospyros

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 15:00 »
I bought "red veined sorrel" what a nice idea, wasn't really paying attention you think I'd know better.  Wasn't til it started flowering I realised it wasn't sorrel (i.e. Rumex acetosa) at all, it was "blooming" dock (the usual common name cannot be mentioned on this forum apparently but you can guess what it is from the second half of the botanic) Rumex sanguineus) no good at all to eat and invasive!    Wonder if that's what you have Dilly Dom...

edited to clarify quote
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 16:30 by diospyros »

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 15:26 »
I bought "red veined sorrel" what a nice idea, wasn't really paying attention you think I'd know better.  Wasn't til it started flowering I realised it wasn't sorrel (i.e. Rumex acetosa) at all, it was blooming dock (official common name!) (Rumex sanguineus) no good at all to eat and invasive!    Wonder if that's what you have Dilly Dom...
  Ah that is interesting because it was red veined and to start with looks quite pretty but soon reverts to dock.
Seeing someone mentioned salisfy too, never eaten it and it comes up everywhere though does have a rather nice daisy like flower.

edit to clarify quote

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 16:07 by mumofstig »

diospyros

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 16:33 »

edit to clarify quote
[/quote]

http://www.perennials.com/plants/rumex-sanguineus-var-sanguineus.html link to page mentioning common name of Rumex sanguineus for those of a less moderatory disposition...

diospyros

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 16:39 »
ooh look here's another one I mustn't mention and it's not even off topic either, http://www.perennials.com/plants/geranium-sanguineum.html if "filling in quickly to create a bushy groundcover" means what I think it does!

xx
What can I grown now?

Started by Manimal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 20:20
by Manimal
xx
Have you grown these

Started by seedman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 18:25
by seedman
xx
Can any of these be grown in the UK?

Started by BongBrothers on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 21:40
by JayG
xx
At last! Something I've grown to eat

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2013, 19:07
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 37 queries.