Cut marks (?) on Kestrels

• 18 Replies

JohnB47

Cut marks (?) on Kestrels
« on: July 17, 2014, 16:58 »
Just digging my Kestrels now and some have sort of v shaped valleys in them. A bit like if you cut them when they were small and the cut mark healed and grew wider with growth.

I've grown them through ground cover this year as an experiment and wonder if this could be slug damage while the taties were small. Otherwise no slug damage evident. Reasonable crop too and none gone green so far.

Any ideas? I could manage a photo if necessary.

Edit: Reminds me of that old Sound of Music song "Cut marks on Kestrels and whiskers on kittens ..." Sorry  :wub:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 17:00 by JohnB47 »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Cut marks (?) on Kestrels
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 17:07 »
I'll help you out, though I don't think I oughta'
Think it is caused by varying water.

La La La  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 17:34 »
Oh no. What have I started.  :tongue2:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 17:37 »
 :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 17:56 »
I've had a few the same. I think it occurred where the potato couldn't develop normally due to a lump of clay and has grown around the hard edge.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 18:24 »
Inclined to agree with Snoop - I've seen it from time to time despite having no lumps of clay (plenty of stones though!)

Don't think it's anything to worry about unless it's affected more than a few, although I suppose that the odd nibble by a keel slug on a small spud might result in the same thing.  :unsure:

(Also, don't think I'm even going to try to get this particular post to rhyme or scan with any musical song title!  :ohmy: :lol:)

RaptorUK

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 20:54 »
Just digging my Kestrels now and some have sort of v shaped valleys in them. A bit like if you cut them when they were small and the cut mark healed and grew wider with growth.

Do you have a problem with Horsetail in your plot ?

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:02 »
Thanks all. No, thankfully I don't have any horsetail on the plot. It's not really a problem, potatoes just have this odd shape but are perfectly ok to eat.

Not sure about the clay idea. I've grown kestrel about four years now and never seen this before. About one in 8 taties have at least one mark like this.

I'll try to remember to take a photo when I next lift some. Just a curiosity.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 13:26 »

(Also, don't think I'm even going to try to get this particular post to rhyme or scan with any musical song title!  :ohmy: :lol:)
GG loves a challenge - back in a mo' or several!  :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 14:18 »
I have lifted 3 plants and I have this problem too. Noticed it on some early potatoes as well. I think it called splitting due to varying moisture. Nothing to worry about. Typing this with  a torrential downpour, so that may add to the problem.

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 19:56 »
I have lifted 3 plants and I have this problem too. Noticed it on some early potatoes as well. I think it called splitting due to varying moisture. Nothing to worry about. Typing this with  a torrential downpour, so that may add to the problem.

I searched for 'potatoes splitting' and sure enough, there are photos showing exactly what I've got. Curious that it should be variable moisture levels. One reason I tried growing through ground cover fabric this year was to try to maintain even moisture levels. Ironic or what?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 20:01 »
Lots of root veg don't cope very well with varying moisture levels (many humans and orang-utans don't either, but it's usually for different reasons!)

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 12:35 »
I've learnt something new today, then. Thanks for that.

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 16:34 »
I have harvested 2 plants and thought the marks were caused by slugs! As a result the missus did not want to use them, and they ended up in the compost bin.

Luckily I still have the majority to harvest, and now that I know what causes this, I won't be too hasty to throw the next damaged ones away.
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 16:54 »
I have harvested 2 plants and thought the marks were caused by slugs! As a result the missus did not want to use them, and they ended up in the compost bin.

Luckily I still have the majority to harvest, and now that I know what causes this, I won't be too hasty to throw the next damaged ones away.

Crumbs, Rexmundi (love the name by the way), your wife is very strict. If I threw out everything with a bit of pest damage, there'd not be much we could eat some days. I picked a head of broccoli yesterday with 20 small snails tucked away inside it. I managed to get them all out, so there was no gritty crunching of teeth as we ate it...

xx
Tooth marks

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 18:55
by arugula
xx
On your marks get set..........Lidl's!!

Started by triage999 on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 20:06
by flatcap
xx
Marks on caulifower

Started by AussieInFrance on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 20:13
by snowdrops
xx
Odd marks on leaves

Started by Pete C on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 20:46
by Annen

Page created in 0.747 seconds with 37 queries.