Feeding carrots...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Feeding carrots...
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:07 »
Germination for our carrots has been pretty abysmal this year, such that we only have about a third of our expected crop going anywhere!

They're physically well-protected with netting, but I reckon we'll just let them get to a decent size now, and use them in the winter.

What do others do to feed carrots? It used to be foliar feeding but that seems to have fallen out of favour these days, perhaps it was a passing phase to flog liquid feed...

RaptorUK

Re: Feeding carrots...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:05 »
What do others do to feed carrots? It used to be foliar feeding but that seems to have fallen out of favour these days, perhaps it was a passing phase to flog liquid feed...

I don't feed or water my carrots . . I do water when they are a seedling but not when they are established.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:15 »
Carrots & parsnips both get foliar feed here (nothing special, just dilute tomato-food) and it works well,  particularly when the soil surface is dry and a liquid-feed would just run-off. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19 »
I must admit I'm pleased with the results of using a dilute liquid feed (Maxicrop) as a boost, particularly as a foliar feed using either a fine rose or spray. Although I haven't grown carrots this year, I don't see why it wouldn't help them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

MalcW

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38 »

I don't feed or water my carrots . . I do water when they are a seedling but not when they are established.

Do you get any problem with carrots splitting? A few of mine have, and one of the gurus on the site told me it's because they're too dry. It's my first year growing anything, so I have no experience to draw on.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:47 »
Too dry followed by too wet is very likely to cause splitting.

+ +

I give my carrots an occasional liquid feed - everything I grow needs more food than it would in a more naturally fertile soil.

Not a vintage year for carrots for sure, mainly germination problems, although that's probably mainly due to having to grow them in a rather shady part of the garden as part of my mini rotation scheme.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28 »

Although a new seedling in the patch a elderly gardener gave me a good idea for carrots, using old glass recycling boxes from the council and filling them with spent compost from hanging baskets etc.  I also use potato bags, water once a week if it is dry, know I should not say the next part but no forking or carrot fly problems...so far, sprinkled a little bonemeal on once seedlings were started.
:D I garden therefore I am

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 16:16 »
Very interesting replies, all here, thank you!

The netting is quite close to the foliage, so I reckon a little of the foliar stuff described should be enough, and I agree that any self-respecting carrot should decide to go as deep as it can when there's little water, so we'll just have to wait until late autumn now!

All I want to do is release them from starvation conditions, and give them a perk!

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Feeding PSB?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2022, 08:54
by coldandwindy
xx
feeding

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 16:54
by JayG
xx
What veg needs feeding now...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 05:45
by Growster...

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 37 queries.