Am thinking vaguely about kale...

• 30 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Am thinking vaguely about kale...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 20:10 »
How do you get away with no netting. Mine is in a tent of net
For some reason the pigeons haven't been a problem for the last couple of years. I think they haven't discovered my plot yet. :nowink:

Butterflies on mine would be having a field day  :ohmy: my kale the other year wAs dripping in caterpillars
The snails have been at the lower leaves, but not many caterpillars, in fact there hasn't been that many butterflies about.
Anne

Steveharford

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 20:21 »
I wouldnt have said cavalo nero was coarse to eat, until I cut some of mine a couple of weeks ago. They took some cooking and the middle spine never got soft enough. Not had that with bought stuff so hoping it will improve as it continues growing.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 20:30 »
I wouldnt have said cavalo nero was coarse to eat, until I cut some of mine a couple of weeks ago. They took some cooking and the middle spine never got soft enough. Not had that with bought stuff so hoping it will improve as it continues growing.

I remove the spine on mine.  ;) even baby Harry had some as it was ok for him to try.

Snoop

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 21:29 »
Excellent advice guys. Thanks a lot. Following all these comments, I reckon I'll take MoS and Beesrus's advice and go for dwarf curly kale to start with. They don't have kale here, so I hope by the time seeds arrive from the UK I'll still be in time to sow it.

Will try cavolo nero maybe next year.

AnneB

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 21:57 »
Definitely remove the central spine on cavalo nero.  I boil it for 5 mins, drain very thoroughly, then heat olive oil, fry garlic then add cavolo nero with salt and pepper.  Also very nice with fennel seeds fried with the garlic.

I net mine, they are OK un netted on our plot until the cold weather comes, when pigeons strip the plants as other food is scarce.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 23:01 »
Definitely remove the central spine on cavalo nero.  I boil it for 5 mins, drain very thoroughly, then heat olive oil, fry garlic then add cavolo nero with salt and pepper.  Also very nice with fennel seeds fried with the garlic.

I net mine, they are OK un netted on our plot until the cold weather comes, when pigeons strip the plants as other food is scarce.
I'll try cooking it like that, I might persuade someone else but me to eat it.   :) :nowink:
I hadn't thought of having to net later in the year. Good point.

8doubles

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 06:48 »
I gave up growing curly kale because of whitefly, at least with flat leaf you stand a chance of getting most of it off before it is cooked ! :unsure:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 07:15 »
Yes I grow flat ones True Siberian and Red Ursa eat it all year. great stir fried with an onion
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

philwjones

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 07:17 »
I found that Reflex curly kale was great.  It kept us going through a whole winter and could be used as a substitute/supplement for so many things as it hasn't a really strong taste.

My being introduced to it was a happy accident when it formed part of Suttons Autumn/Winter continuity collection - I bought the collection for everything else and the kale was incidental - turned out to be the best veg of the whole thing.

conteasy

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 07:27 »
Try growing Pentland Brig, it's not only more tender and sweet but also produces lovely shoots in spring, similar to sprouting broccoli but again, more tender and sweet if you keep picking them young.  It's a lighter green than the standard kale and to get the sweetness it needs lime, like all brassicas.  I use Dolomite lime for mine and my P.Brig cooks quickly, the finer you shred it the less time it cooks in and therefore stays sweeter.  Drain in a colander and add a knob of creamy spread, or butter, and fork through.  If you want dark green curly kale try Starbor, that has a good flavour too and is very hardy, not as strong tasting as the black kale.  Use sea salt or pink Himalayan rock salt in your cooking water for improved flavour, too.

al78

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 08:28 »
I gave up growing curly kale because of whitefly, at least with flat leaf you stand a chance of getting most of it off before it is cooked ! :unsure:

Just think of it as extra protein.  :D

Snoop

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04 »
Yet more excellent advice. Conteasy, the varieties you suggest sound interesting too.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42 »

Just think of it as extra protein.  :D
Oh yes ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 09:44 »
I love this thread title. I can imagine you standing there with a pipe, rubbing your chin, hand on the mantelpiece, foot on the hearth, contemplating kale  :D :lol:

Snoop

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 10:34 »
I love this thread title. I can imagine you standing there with a pipe, rubbing your chin, hand on the mantelpiece, foot on the hearth, contemplating kale  :D :lol:

Well, I live in a ruin of a farmhouse that we're doing up, so the only thing that's right about this image is the pipe, and it's a piece of drainpipe! That and rubbing my chin of lady whiskers, seeing as I'm of a certain age and hardly ever have to see anyone who doesn't already know me well.  :lol:

xx
was just thinking

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 21:54
by mumofstig
xx
I'm thinking of

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 14:45
by snowdrops
xx
Thinking of trying

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 19:12
by Dantheman
xx
Thinking of a fig

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 20:03
by Doddy

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 37 queries.