Am thinking vaguely about kale...

• 30 Replies

Snoop

Am thinking vaguely about kale...
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:18 »
I'm pretty sure that Mr Snoop will be aghast at the notion, but I'm pondering on the possibility of growing some kale this year. He doesn't like spinach (describes it as slimy) and is pretty averse to anything very green looking. But, I'm forever trying to introduce him to new veg, so kale it might be this winter. I reckon I might be able to sell it to him by starting him on it in bubble and squeak.

Any recommendations on varieties? I like the look of Cavolo Nero as a plant but is it a bit coarse to eat? I've read that kale is also a bit bitter. Is this true? Seems to be all the fashion these days and I notice from searches on this site that there are a lot of kale fans here.

Beetroot Queen

Re: Am thinking vaguely about kale...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:22 »
We are growing nero and even florence eats it in bubble and squeak she calls it trees for some reason.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 13:14 »
To my tastebuds, Cavalo Nero is strongly flavoured, unless you use it in stews, I prefer the Dwarf Curly for everything else  :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 13:15 »
Winter of 2012/13, I grew Siberian, Red Russian and Cavolo nero - I was very surprised how sweet and tender the Siberian and Red Russian were (I'm probably a lot like Mr Snoop but I will try something that I've grown myself)  You could try making an Irish Colcannon with it (google for recipes but basically a creamy mashed potato and kale, sometimes with bacon and onions, garlic etc) to disguise the kale  :D

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 13:29 »
To my tastebuds, Cavalo Nero is strongly flavoured, unless you use it in stews, I prefer the Dwarf Curly for everything else  :D

I am suprised at that the flavour was lovely, I didnt think it was as strong as my curly kale.

ptarmigan

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 14:42 »
I love the flavour of Cavolo Nero - to me it tastes like Purple Sprouting Brocolli.  It is quite a strong taste.  I use it like spinach when the leaves are young - it only takes a little longer to cook. So I stir it into pasta sauces etc.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 17:12 »
I've got nero di toscana, and it's lovely. The young leaves are really tender, but you need a fair few plants to crop it over winter.

beesrus

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 17:37 »
You need advice from a former cabbage hater. I hated it so much as a child  I stored it up over night in my cheeks as I refused to swallow it and didn't want my parents to know.
Happily, Curly kale certainly can't be described as slimy, that's for sure.
I am growing nero kale for the first time this year and looking forward to it, so can't comment on that, other than it tastes stronger by all accounts. Only grew red russian for one year a long time ago, and I really didn't like it. Not what I would give a non cabage eater.
So, that leaves curly kale. I think there is a a reason why the former animal fodder has become so prevalent in supermarkets. Basically huge numbers of people like it. But like sprouts, it's all about how you cook it.
The growing is pretty straight forward, and very very productive over the longest of seasons.
Strip the leaves from the possibly "woody" stalks, and then chop the leaves, so as not to give the cabbage hater a chance to moan at the long sinews. Saute/steam in a little olive oil with sesame seed and soy sauce. Serve it as a proper proud side dish, as just crisp to cooked. Heavenly. I often mix with a few chopped walnuts. There is absolutely nothing a cabbage hater could dislike ... well, as long as the caterpillars aren't lurking. Alternatively, bubble and squeak is ok too, but "hiding" ingredients isn't going to be a long term solution.  :D
I've always got some curly kale on the go all year round, it's so easy to grow, and actually is very versatile, unlike some cabbage. It's the texture that's the winner, and you would have to be a pretty poor cook to make it slimy.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 18:00 by beesrus »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 18:36 »
We keep ours just to look at...

WP_000105a.jpg
Anne

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 18:48 »
How do you get away with no netting. Mine is in a tent of net

Godhelm

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 19:05 »
I was surprised at the reception my teenage kids gave to the kale I have grown. Now it usually disappears from the plate first! Often cook with a little oil, garlic and maybe a few chilli flakes.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 19:13 »
I've got nero di toscana, and it's lovely. The young leaves are really tender, but you need a fair few plants to crop it over winter.
Likewise.
I have 12 plants just for the 2 of us ;) :)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 19:46 »
Kale is a vehicle for oil, salt & garlic  :lol:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 20:02 »
For some reason the pigeons haven't been a problem for the last couple of years. I think they haven't discovered my plot yet. :nowink:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 20:04 »
For some reason the pigeons haven't been a problem for the last couple of years. I think they haven't discovered my plot yet. :nowink:

Butterflies on mine would be having a field day  :ohmy: my kale the other year wAs dripping in caterpillars

xx
was just thinking

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 21:54
by mumofstig
xx
I'm thinking of

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 14:45
by snowdrops
xx
Thinking of trying

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 19:12
by Dantheman
xx
Thinking of a fig

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 20:03
by Doddy

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 38 queries.