Huge blackcurrants...

• 15 Replies

Growster...

Huge blackcurrants...
« on: July 05, 2014, 14:47 »
When we took over the 'Patch', which is a full allotment, we discovered two miserable, sad looking blackcurrant bushes, which had been languishing under a canopy of brambles about eight feet high, for several years!

They were all leggy and had very hard, black central tems, but were thick and sturdy, so naturally, we gave them a chance to do what they could!

This was two years ago, we had a pretty good crop last year - totally unexpected, but this year, after some careful pruning in the Autumn, we have finished up with two huge providers, one is bigger than the other with a different growth format, and longer 'new' shoots and the berries are nearly as big as grapes! I reckon we'll get about fifteen pounds from one chap alone, which is such an enormous bonus!

They're as sweet as can be imagined, and, although I can easily post a pic, they'll all look the same as any other blackcurrant, unless there are chums here with more experience in growing these gorgeous plants! I wonder if the variety, 'Laxton Giant', is the type we've inherited!

Any thoughts out there please?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Huge blackcurrants...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 15:06 »
Could it be a Caseille/Jostaberry  - a cross between a goosegog and a blackcurrant ?

First year's fruiting for mine, but they are big'uns  :D

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 16:45 »
Thanks Mum.

I don't think it is a jostaberry, as the leaves are blackcurrant to a tee, so here's a couple of pics to try and narrow it down!

The biggest berries are well over a centimetre in diameter - even up to one and a half, so we're not complaining!
P1110086.JPG
P1110087.JPG
P1110088.JPG

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 22:25 »
Maybe it could be a Ben Nevis blackcurrant i have one and that has large berries on too  :unsure:
diggity dig dig

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:46 »
Maybe it could be a Ben Nevis blackcurrant i have one and that has large berries on too  :unsure:

That's interesting, 3A, it could well be one!

Has your bush fruited yet?

diospyros

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:29 »
I think jostas don't have the blackcurranty scent on the foliage, is another way of telling them.  I've got a shop-bought josta, and about eight young blackcurrants from cuttings which the donor said have HUGE berries, so looking forward to next year!  In fact I've got so many I'm wondering if it would make sense to prune them by completing coppicing them in rotation.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:51 »
I think jostas don't have the blackcurranty scent on the foliage, is another way of telling them.  I've got a shop-bought josta, and about eight young blackcurrants from cuttings which the donor said have HUGE berries, so looking forward to next year!  In fact I've got so many I'm wondering if it would make sense to prune them by completing coppicing them in rotation.

Pruning has just been a discussion here, Diospyros, as it's so wet, and they really do need picking, so we're going to cut the branches now, and bring them home for picking - in an easier position too!

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 10:32 »
My blackcurrant bush is a Ben Nevis and it always has big and sweet-ish berries so agree with 3A. They make the most marvellous jam!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 18:42 »
Ours is a bennevis and its enormous fruits are dripping, i cant keep up with picking it

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 19:58 »

That's interesting, 3A, it could well be one!

Has your bush fruited yet?
Yes, eaten them aready as i didnt have many on the bush as i damaged it earlier in the saeson

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 20:24 »
Ben Connan maybe

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 06:49 »
It does seem as though it's one of the 'Bens', doesn't it!

We brought five branches home yesterday, and got 3.25 pounds off them, and there's much more to come thank goodness!

It's at times like this that the old 'swings and roundabouts' syndrome kicks in, and you can forgive the first rows of peas for just sitting there being silly...

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 08:25 »
Exactly!  I think that's how we have to look at these things.  You win some ......  :)

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 20:35 »
Exactly!  I think that's how we have to look at these things.  You win some ......  :)

CQ, you just sum it up in such an easy statement!
It's always swings and roundabouts, and this year, the black currants get the prize!

Never changes does it!

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 21:27 »
Our blackcurrants are huge this year too.   They are Ben Connan.   We have been given a jostaberry, but it has produced nil, I am giving it the benefit of the doubt as it was transplanted in spring.   The leaves do smell of blackcurrants though.

xx
Blackcurrants.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2014, 10:04
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Blackcurrants....

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 14:56
by Trillium
xx
My Blackcurrants!

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 06:02
by lancashiregardeninggal
xx
blackcurrants

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 08:21
by Ma and Pa Snip

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 39 queries.