Potato Height

• 4 Replies

sickboyshadow

Potato Height
« on: July 05, 2014, 14:45 »
I grow my potatoes in Bags. The last few years have been ok quite a good yield, not as big as I would like but ok.

My question is, the stems grow in excess of 5 or 6 feet out of the top of the bag.

Is this ok or should i cut them down to try and keep the potatoes growing instead of this huge foliage.

Many thanks Mitch

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato Height
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 15:02 »
The top growth feeds the tubers, so you've nothing to gain by chopping them down.
Perhaps they've had too much of a nitrogen feed?

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 17:53 »
That can be a result of filling the bags with compost only. Best to fill half and half compost/soil. Bags are often placed in less than favourable positions,  sun wise, with a similar effect.
Once the halums have grown, they're the only greens you're going to get. They won't "bush up" to any advantage with a hair cut

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 22:57 »
It's worth noting that the height of potato tops varies hugely from one variety to another. The Potato Council classifies them from short to very tall. And as mum says, too much nitrogen leads to a lot of leafy growth.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 23:54 »
mine are growing foliage like there's no tomorrow, also producing flowers over a longer period. i've only starting growing since last year so don't a lot of experience weather it's a good or bad thing. i guess i'll find out when i dig them up, all i can say is that this year i have twice the amount of greenery compared to last year.

all i have done is change the bed to the space next door to where they were last year and used rabbit manure mulch. maybe just the weather this year making them produce more foliage.

the way i see it is that the tubers need the energy that the leaves give them, there fore the more the better. as i said not an expert by any means but i'll be leaving mine until they die back, unless blight hits before.

xx
Brocolli - height

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 12:46
by Stevens706
xx
Maro peas - height

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 09:39
by Snoop
xx
Autumn bliss height?

Started by penance on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 21:14
by penance
xx
broad bean height

Started by Li on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 05:29
by Growster...

Page created in 0.935 seconds with 30 queries.