Compost and Top Soil advice needed- Exeter

• 7 Replies

mobilekat

Compost and Top Soil advice needed- Exeter
« on: July 01, 2014, 16:32 »
Heya

We moved in the winter and are currently trying to deal with a very neglected garden- having had to get a mini-digger in to shift the matted hell that was bamboo growing through anti-weed membrane I can now see the soil- bamboo is now a swear word in our house!

And the soil looks a tad sad- I think its been under the membrane for around 14 years, and the soil is pretty dead. :(
Its a sandy soil, with a good helping of stones, and looks OK, but there is no organic matter and no worms either. It does drain very well, but there is a strong air of neglect!

My thoughts were to get a bulk delivery of both new topsoil and compost to give it a good boost, and other than popping a couple of courgette plants in to have fun this year let it be over the summer, with maybe a crop of green manure too
My own compost bin is only small and young, so not enough to make a difference, so do need to buy in plenty more!

what do people think?

I should say the aim is to grow mostly veg and a herbs too, with the odd flower to keep the OH and the bees happy too!

Any suggestions, any ideas, and on the very off chance does anyone know of a supplier in Devon who can deliver dumpy bags over a 6 foot wall!!- I know thats a hard ask, but until you ask you never know!!!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 16:32 by mobilekat »
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

snowdrops

Re: Compost and Top Soil advice needed- Exeter
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 16:52 »
Yes that sounds good but it might need digging or rotorvating first. Also farmyard manure would be good. Try to get in touch with local council to see if you can get a bulk delivery of council compost. I got 4 1/2  tons for £60 a few years back. You might not need topsoil,plus you're never sure of the quality unless you see it first or buy top class.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 16:54 »
Do you have a Wickes nearby?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=topsoil&x=0&y=0

When they delivered some blocks recently, the crane seemed to have enough height to clear a six foot wall, although you might need to just slit the bag once it's over the wall as they may not be able to lower it to the ground.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 18:07 »
if you've got a year to wait before planting i would suggest seeing if anyone sells horse manure or similar cheap by the tonne.

if you don't mind the hard work and have a vehicle suitable look on gumtree and freecycle for pet/ horse/ poultry manure, and top soil.

turn in the organic matter as you go.

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 21:03 »
where abouts in South Devon are you ?

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 22:20 »
We are on the edge of Exeter

We have Rotavatored it (well actually borrowed a friends Husband and his father Rotavator!)

And then picked off lots of stones and roots, and rotavatored again, and picked more roots and stones (and repeat!)

I want to give it a big top dressing of manure in the autumn, and hopefully the worms will then work their magic!

We have rotavatored in some compost, and I think green manure will be a good thing to do for the rest of this season. The soil is so dead that no weeds have popped up since we shifted the membrane- which is good in many ways!

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:16 »
any sort of organic would be beneficial, ideally worked in to speed up the composting affect.

i'm sure the worms and bacteria will come back pretty quick once there's something to feed on, incredible how they know.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 12:36 »
Waiting for a year is a good idea not only to get your soil in much better condition, but to see if there are any b****o roots remaining so you can get them out before planting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Raised beds - advice on soil/compost

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 09:43
by sunshineband
clip
Inherited Compost Heap - advice needed!

Started by pawlitan on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 18:00
by steved
xx
New Allottment-Soil Improvment Tips Needed

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 20:32
by erainn
xx
Preparing my new plot - soil prep for raise beds (help needed)

Started by stu222a on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 09:32
by stu222a

Page created in 0.773 seconds with 37 queries.