Help I'm new!

• 16 Replies

4newbies

Help I'm new!
« on: June 28, 2014, 22:22 »
Hello fellow growers, I am new to this site and to growing!  How do I find a member please?

Started growing in tubs last year and a plot came up at the local allotment so we took it but didn't realise how much hard work they are.  It's currently nearly waist high with weeds and brambles I need all the help I can get.

Appreciate your help on clearing and growing but also on how to get the most from this site.

Thank you x

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: Help I'm new!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 22:46 »
Firstly - welcome to the site, new plots are hard work, but soon worth it with the rewards you get.

There are many options to clearing, a good read would be http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment/clearing-new-allotment-plot.php

If you're not averse to using chemicals then I would recommend strimming the entire plot if you can, then waiting for some regrowth to start and applying a systemic weedkiller that will get to the roots.

Other option, cover the bits you want to kill (weed membrane, cardboard, tarpaulin but NOT carpet) and then dig / clear little bits at a time. Try & get little bits planted as you go, as this will keep morale up when you start harvesting stuff, and if you're lucky plot neighbours may have extra plants they are willing to give away at this time of year.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 01:44 »
best advice i would give is not to be too impatient and think next season you should be able to grow everything perfectly.

it was my first season at growing last year and i think i set my sights far too high, and got very disappointed when things failed or didn't go as i'd planned.

this season i'm surprised how well a lot of things are doing, makes all the hard work of clearing and improving the soil worth it.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:27 »
Record your progress - it will have taken me nearly two years to battle the weeds and overgrowth, double dig and get all the infrastructure in place. But I don't have as many weed problems as my neighbours. So photographs and a diary, plus read others for guidance and entertainment in the winter months when all you can do is buy seeds and plan

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35 »
Hello and welcome to the site. Good advice above...however you start take it slowly. :)

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:43 »
Hi, I started around 15 months ago and found that doing a little at a time really well paid dividends. Get a bed dug first and get something in so you can feel like you are getting somewhere whilst you tackle the rest of the plot. Every bed after that just fill as you go on. You will be surprised by the difference a year makes by next summer! Happy digging  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 13:11 »
Hello fellow growers, I am new to this site and to growing!  How do I find a member please?

Started growing in tubs last year and a plot came up at the local allotment so we took it but didn't realise how much hard work they are.  It's currently nearly waist high with weeds and brambles I need all the help I can get.

Appreciate your help on clearing and growing but also on how to get the most from this site.

Thank you x
Hello 4newbies and welcome to this brilliant site! Others have given great advice so I just echo what they have said, plus get John's allotment book to help get you going - think you find it via the "Allotment Shop" in the white panel at the top of the page; if not, someone on here will give you the link. To find members, just look at the top of the page again and you will see "Members" then click on it. To get the most out of this site? Well - just click on all the different forums to see the various subjects and topics they cover, plus look at posts and replies. There is also a "Search" option if you need info that has been covered previously, or just post and see what answers you get. This is an extremely friendly site, so don't worry about asking us to help with whatever - all of us are still learning! It would help us to give advice if you put your location into your profile as there may be others in your area who could offer better advice for your location. Apart from the gardening advice, I love the "Chatting on the Plot" forum - you can have a laugh, moan or whatever, and is kind of a nice way to log off. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

4newbies

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 14:28 »
Thanks for all you help!

Oh my, started to clear allotment that has been neglected by previous Lottie my goodness it was a hard nettles as tall a me and couldn't even get in the gate but after a 2.5hrs made a little dent  :wacko:

My images are too big or I would show the progress!

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 14:37 »
Save your photos in an online account and paste a link to them I.e.

http://photobucket.com/albums/hh550/silhouette1265/Allotment

;)

cadalot

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 16:05 »
Or manage the size with the free download IrfanView and add to the post

4newbies

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 17:22 »
Ok, this is the 2 images I took before and after today - hope it works  :unsure:

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/4newbies/slideshow/

4newbies

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 17:31 »
Argh don't think it worked?

Try this <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s105.photobucket.com/user/4newbies/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Still cannot see the 'members' bit at top of page?

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 17:57 »
I use photo bucket, once you have uploaded your photo, click on it & choose the copy option. Then write your post & cluck on add attachments & click on that & if will copy the URL. I think that is how I do it, quite long winded & I'm sure someone will direct you to an easier way.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

4newbies

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 18:08 »

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 19:04 by Yorkie »

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 18:11 »
It will take you 2 to 3 years to get a good grip on your plot, so don't panic, as others have said, take your time, don't try and do everything at once. I have had my plot 10 years this year and I am still trying to sort it. Enjoy.

edit: just seen the piccys, your doing fine. carry on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 18:13 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 37 queries.