Japanese Onion Sucess Rate.

• 12 Replies

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
Japanese Onion Sucess Rate.
« on: June 28, 2014, 15:19 »
I planted 47 Japanese onion  sets last October and one by one I feel I have lost quite a few plants.

I have now worked it out and I have 13 onions that are or have been ready to use. 

That is a 27% success rate, I was initially disappointed but now I am not too sure.

Was this a poor harvest??
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 15:22 by Yorkshire Lass »

Steveharford

Re: Japanese Onion Sucess Rate.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 15:45 »
Hi. To be honest, yes, you should have had more than that.  Did they succumb to rot or disease of some sort? Mine have rotted in the past. Now I add sharp sand and compost to the soil and also plant them in a small ridge. All this helps drainage. Out of about 200 sets planted on 10th November, I had just a couple of non starters and five went to seed. Oh and I also raked in plenty of BFB before planting. I thought I had left them a bit late to be honest, but I have had my best ever crop so will be following the same method this year. It will be the fourth consecutive year planting in the same bed. Hope that helps.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 16:50 »
I tried them 2 years running with little success - but then realized I have onion white rot on my plot  :(

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 16:53 »
Mine have been really good this year because of the mild winter, only a few have gone to seed, and like Steve, had a couple of non-starters.  I didn't do anything special apart from a dose of onion fertilizer and some chicken pellets for luck.  Oh, and I had put some potash on earlier. The variety was Radar and they were planted at the end of September after the broad beans and fleeced over winter.
Anne

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 16:57 »
Thanks for the advice, I planted the sets in October with no fertilizer or anything in the soil (I am new to veg growing and allotments, I only had my plot a month).  I also did not know that lots of plots on the site had white rot and was only told this a month ago  :( 

I do want to try again as the small crop I had were lovely but it is all a bit disappointing when I put so much effort in keeping them weed free only to destroy them due to white rot.

I think it may be a lost cause  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 17:52 »
You can tell if the loss was due to white rot, as the onions would have had white thread sort of bits on the bulbs under the ground.

I do hope it wasn't this, but it is worth checking.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 17:56 »
Some pics of white rot in my diary..............here
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101015.msg1211143#msg1211143

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 19:28 »
I buy a bag or two of sets and plant mid Sept and always have failures - i just plant more than needed to make up for losses.. I just use them initially as green onions then when they bulb up as normal but small'ish onions before the main crop are ready to start munching on.. I never ever buy onions - totally self sufficient..

I've just pulled the last of the winter onions today so will have to start on shallots and main crop onions as they start bolt..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 19:30 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 10:04 »
Managed a 50 50 this year. My reds bolted as if their backsides were on fire but my whites turned out real stoaters. Both were grown in the same bed :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
May the fork be with you

beesrus

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 17:24 »
Don't fret Lass, what you need is to have a different mind set.
Yes, your crop could be described as a little underachieved, but with your crop being a little better, Autumn onions are very useful. First of all be wary of many red onions, they often fail more than the whites/yellows.

My results were about as expected. I planted 50 Senshyu  and 50 Radar onions. 10% were a total washout that never did a thing, and often happens with a proportion. Probably 15% went to seed but those are always used as green onions from April onwards anyway. 15% ended up quite small. That leaves 55% as good sized eaters. With experience you'll soon get to that percentage and higher. One thing you do end up noticing is which batches and varieties perform better. The Senshyu this year were far better than my Radar.

So:
1.... eat those throwing up flower spikes as very tasty green onions.
2... Use the smaller onions also as green onions also, or as pickling onions when ready.
3... These onions stop you munching into your Summer onions too early.
4... The crop helps a tad with stopping some beds being left bare over Winter.
5... Virtually no effort required with over Winter weeding.
6... They render a bed empty in May to June which is always quite useful for eg.later brassicas/sweet corn, or a Summer green manure sowing when it is warm enough to get a fair bit of nitrogen out of legume manures.

When viewed as above all of a sudden the crop is well worthwhile for the little effort, and no more than a £1 or two. It's all about understanding why different crops are sown. Japanese crops have a quite different purpose than the Spring sown. White rot apart, I get 90% success rate with Spring sown, and they store so much better.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 17:40 by beesrus »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 17:58 »
I agree with him/her   :D :D Well said beesrus!

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 18:30 »
Thank you for taking the time to reply beesrus, you have made me feel loads better about my small harvest.  I guess this veg growing business is a little harder than I expected it to be, but in then I have grown something and learnt loads along the way.  Also there are loads of people on here with some good advice.

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:06 »
It will be the fourth consecutive year planting in the same bed. Hope that helps.

I know the old timers used to grow their onions in the same bed every year but it is asking for white rot to build up. They always grew from seed. Sets can easily bring in white rot on their roots

Once it is there only a gap of about 10 years will clear it, or maybe not.

xx
Japanese Onion

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 18:02
by Yorkie
xx
Japanese onion sets

Started by captainhastings on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 21:12
by compostqueen
xx
Japanese onion question

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 14:19
by WG.
xx
Japanese Onion question

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 20:49
by gobs

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 38 queries.