Pak Choi gone to seed!

• 11 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Pak Choi gone to seed!
« on: June 24, 2014, 11:34 »
I grew some nice Pak Choi last year in my trough. However this year they have taken longer to develop and are now going to seed before they are fully developed!! Same environment as before, just weather a bit different.

Any thoughts? Anything I can do?

Nobbie

Re: Pak Choi gone to seed!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 11:46 »
Maybe keep them a bit shaded and well watered. Not suprised they've bolted, as there has been a lot of hot sunshine lately.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:49 »
Yes, better to sow them in cooler Spring and Autumn weather - they don't like heat!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 13:34 »
Mine bolted too.  Not only the outside lot, but the ones I had in big pot in my bubble shaded greenhouse, which hasn't been hot at all.  I will wait for autumn before sowing any more then!  :(

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 14:21 »
OK. I thought they were a summer veg. Last year was hot, but maybe they got a better start in the spring before the really hot weather kicked in. I seem to remember they were ready to pick his time last year. This year was a slow start for growing, so this hot spell must have got to them.

So is Autumn good for sowing again??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 14:32 »
this site says sow end of July - to late August, which seems about right in my experience  ;)
http://www.seedtoplate.co.uk/vegetable_growing_guides/plots/all/pak-choi/

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 15:18 »
Most pak choi will run to seed if sown before midsummer.  There are a few varieties that don't though.   Real Seeds have several that are suitable for spring sowing, including Green Boy, Santoh and Tai Sai.   I have grown Green Boy and Tai Sai successfully without bolting, but not tried the Santoh.

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 23:19 »
After years of trying I've given up on Pak Choi. Tried sowing and growing at all times of year and in all conditions and it always bolted. I guess gardeners just have to face the fact that some things just don't work for them.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 17:39 »
I put mine out last week as usual.  It now has flea beetle, which I have never had a problem with before. 

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 19:35 »
Mine had flea beetle and also ran to seed, but I think they went in too late and have been faced with this hot spell. Next year I will sow earlier.
Would also like to point out that I bought plants from the garden centre and not knowing that much about pak choi thought it was the correct time to plant because they were available to buy. Garden centers are guilty of doing this all the time often selling veg plants at the wrong time.

jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 19:40 »
Every time we've sowed Pak Choi its gone to seed really quickly, haven't bothered last couple of years :(
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 20:54 »
Growing Pak Choi is very hard work in this hot weather, firstly they like a very rich soil, they also like to be watered a lot. unless you can give them what they wan't they will go to seed, Pak Choi has a small root system unlike other salad crops, so if the ground dries out the plant becomes stressed and will run to seed. I grow mine in the float tray system where I can meet most of the requirement that the plants requires, plus growing it at a height of about 3 ft above the ground stops any flea beetle damaging my crop. Mine are floating away quite happily at the moment and are being shaded by my spring onions. If you have any problems with growing them I would recomend planting them in your compost pile and keeping them well watered
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 20:58 by Markw »
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
Pak Choi went to seed early?

Started by Deucecoup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 09:01
by Deucecoup
xx
Pak choi

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 00:24
by viettaclark
xx
pak choi

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 16, 2022, 01:25
by Subversive_plot
xx
PAK CHOI

Started by greydog on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 21:04
by Trillium

Page created in 0.685 seconds with 29 queries.