Help! Beetroot Newbie!

• 14 Replies

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« on: January 10, 2008, 19:04 »
I have had 3 beetroots in my veggie box this week. I am thinking of making beetroot chutney (from th recipe on this site) but it requires cooked beetroot. I have no idea how to prepare or cook beetroot - i considered myself not a fan (p[ickled beetroot as a child etc) but the rest of my family loves it and I though a sweet chutney might change my mind as I love apple chutneys.

But before I get to the chutney I need to cook the darn things. They are "as they come" with the leaves on and everything...

Jaye

mashauk

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 19:29 »
What I do is to give them a wash but don't peel them or the colour leaches out, cut the leaves off but leave about an inch of the stalk on (I think that's the right way) then wrap em in tin foil and roast them in the oven on a medium heat for about 90 minutes.  They are delicious like this with other roast veg too, but I roast them before I make pickled beetroot too.

WG.

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 19:46 »
Prepare as per mashauk, but I'd boil them for a chutney or pickle recipe.  Leave on the root too.

Peel after cooking

If you do roast them, you might find that you eat them all before they get as far as the chutney recipe.  They are delicious.

mashauk

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 19:56 »
Quote from: "WG."
Prepare as per mashauk, but I'd boil them for a chutney or pickle recipe.  Leave on the root too.

Peel after cooking

If you do roast them, you might find that you eat them all before they get as far as the chutney recipe.  They are delicious.

And get burnt fingers getting the foil off.  I roasted mine for pickling too. Go lovely with a bit of Halloumi and couscous.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 19:58 »
mmmmm it actually sounds really yummy!

I bet beetroot and apple would be lovely roasted together in a tin...with some onion.... :idea:

I'm having lots of culinary inspiration tonight (just invented Purple potato pie) - it's the veggie box!

Jaye

sweet nasturtium

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 14:47 »
I do beetroot salad - boil with the skins on, then peel.  
Slice and layer with thinly sliced onion, olive oil a little vinegar and black pepper whilst still warm. This allows the oils and flavours to penetrate.  White onion then goes a bright pink which is fun!

mashauk

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 15:41 »
I made beetroot hummus, amazing fuschia pink, no-one in the house liked it but me, sob so I had to eat it all, sob :lol:

tallulah

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 18:05 »
Beetroot soup is delicious, and easy.  Chop and fry an onion with some garlic in butter or olive oil; peel and dice your beetroot, add to pan, saute for a while, then add stock or water; simmer till beetroot soft.  Whiz up, season to taste; add cream or sour cream if wished; garnish with blob cream, grating of pepper and some chopped parsley - flat-leaf if poss.  This soup is 5 star!

lefrog

• Experienced Member
Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 18:26 »
beetroot and horseradish : boil the beet until cooked ( check with a sharp and pointy knife, same way as you would with spuds, if the beet slide down the blade it s cooked). Peel em, grate em , a bit of fresh horseradish, a squeeze of lemon, bit of dijon mustard, salt, pepper, a bit of olive oil. et voila.
I used to hate the beet until I tried this in a restaurant I was working.
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
Henry Ford

mashauk

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 23:32 »
Quote from: "tallulah"
Beetroot soup is delicious, and easy.  Chop and fry an onion with some garlic in butter or olive oil; peel and dice your beetroot, add to pan, saute for a while, then add stock or water; simmer till beetroot soft.  Whiz up, season to taste; add cream or sour cream if wished; garnish with blob cream, grating of pepper and some chopped parsley - flat-leaf if poss.  This soup is 5 star!

Mmm Borscht, delicious hot or cold.  I don't whizz it up, I just chop the beetroot up small, I like to see the bits!

mashauk

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 23:35 »
Quote from: "lefrog"
beetroot and horseradish : boil the beet until cooked ( check with a sharp and pointy knife, same way as you would with spuds, if the beet slide down the blade it s cooked). Peel em, grate em , a bit of fresh horseradish, a squeeze of lemon, bit of dijon mustard, salt, pepper, a bit of olive oil. et voila.
I used to hate the beet until I tried this in a restaurant I was working.

There's a Jewish delicacy (you either hate it or love it) called Chrane (not sure if that's the right spelling) but it's a beetroot and horseradish condiment (very hot) that you have a spoonful of to accompany meat dishes, especially white chicken or turkey, which sounds just like this!

splodger

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 23:10 »
i prefer to roast my beetroot as a pose to boiling - much nicer imho - and you can add flavour - esp garlic, thyme, balsamic vin etc

they take less time in oven - cook with skins on - they peel real easy afterwards - and not messy  :wink:

and they are fab with horseradish :wink:

i also make chutneys  - 1 with apples another with red cabbage

i love beetroot - it so versatile - hot, cold, puree, soup, condiment or  veg dish - goes as well in salad as it does with a roast - lovely veg - it's my super food  :wink:

Rob the rake

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 07:59 »
Has anyone grown the white beetroot varieties? Same flavour but no stains, apparently. Also, there won't be that terrifying moment between your wee coming out red, and you remembering why! :shock:

I'm trying one called Blankoma this year, report to follow. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Diggerpete

Cooking beetroot
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 11:51 »
Ever tried cooking them in the microwave  saves a lot of time

WG.

Help! Beetroot Newbie!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 11:58 »
Quote from: "splodger"
i prefer to roast my beetroot as a pose to boiling - much nicer imho - and you can add flavour - esp garlic, thyme, balsamic vin etc

they take less time in oven - cook with skins on - they peel real easy afterwards - and not messy  :wink:

and they are fab with horseradish :wink:

i also make chutneys  - 1 with apples another with red cabbage

i love beetroot - it so versatile - hot, cold, puree, soup, condiment or  veg dish - goes as well in salad as it does with a roast - lovely veg - it's my super food  :wink:
 :idea: Maybe if you were to post a recipe or two in WYSIWYGGY?  under freezing/preserving  :D

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 36 queries.