When to crop the tops of blighted potatoes?

• 10 Replies

Spr0ut

When to crop the tops of blighted potatoes?
« on: June 22, 2014, 21:11 »
I know you are supposed to crop the tops of blighted potato plants, but mine - at the moment - are only showing the odd leaf or two. I am surrounded by other plotholders who have had the whole blight attack so it is only a matter of time before I go down as well.

The question is - can I hold out to maximise growth until my tops are completely blighted or am I best to stop the tops now?

I planted late so I am concerned that the plants have more growing to do to make things worthwhile.

Beetroot Queen

Re: When to crop the tops of blighted potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 21:14 »
We have taken ours off as soon as it became more than a few leaves, they were sprayed but obviously too late. Although the spuds have been on the small to medium side they were perfect in all other ways.

A few other beds on our plot are holding on so we are watching daily.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 22:20 »
I pick off odd leaves, and spray the plants well. So far this has worked for me, but if whole plants start to go, then off come the whole haulms and I dig the spuds up after two weeks. This gives spores on the surface time to die off and not infect the tubers.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 18:08 »
I have 2nd and maincrop, Estima and Valor, both have been affected. I take it that the tops have to be cut back to rescue any tubers, however if the tops are cut back and the resultant cleared area sprayed would the top growth return, and therefore the tubers carry on growing?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 18:21 »
No they don't regrow, the 2 weeks allowed before lifting the tubers allows enough time for the skins to harden up ready for lifting

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 18:51 »
The question is - can I hold out to maximise growth until my tops are completely blighted or am I best to stop the tops now?

I planted late
I would say you have no choice but to wait. It's either that or hundreds of marbles.
I've known folk to wait until the crop is well blighted and then chop and get a half decent crop, the odd week or two at this end can help immensely. The important thing is to then wait for a week or two, and then lift.

I'm a bit of a soap box person on this matter, but for anyone in the mild South West, the best blight protection is to sow early, no later than the middle of March. Make the most of what the local climate offers. Covering the potato bed to warm it at the end of February is far less heartache than dealing with a lost crop. That only works for short seaon 1st and 2nd earlies of course. I have no answers for maincrops where proper organic practice is preferred.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 18:54 by beesrus »

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 19:16 »

That only works for short seaon 1st and 2nd earlies of course. I have no answers for maincrops where proper organic practice is preferred.

beesrus------------What are the Organic practices you refer to?

beesrus

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 19:38 »
I no longer grow maincrops as a serious attempt, Engineer, I guess that's my organic, or more accurately,  sustainable answer. I pick what potatoes I want from the 1st and 2nd early varieties.

It was time to move on. If a crop isn't sustainable on a semi regular chemical-free basis in my climate, I don't see the point in growing it. I have just 12 King Edwards in the ground, but they're more a side bet than a proper attempt, a decision made in the light of last year's wonderful blight free season. If they fail, it's only a small part of the potato crop.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Soil Association allow regular chemical spraying of potato crops and yet still certify the crop as organic. I'm more interested in the most sustainable growing I can manage. Spraying spuds doesn't fit that bill, so the delicious maincrops are out :(

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 23:49 »
For maincrop, I now grow sarpo potatoes. Over the last few years I've always had a crop even when blight is destroying all around me.

Spr0ut

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 02:06 »
Good against blight, but not so tasty on the plate in my experience. I ended up taking a load of last year's crop to a local barbecue as jackets to clear them from my store.

Headgardener22

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05 »
I agree that the sarpo's flavour isn't as good as the best, but at least you get a crop.

xx
Potatoes blighted...

Started by nipper31 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 11:50
by argaric
xx
Salvaging blighted potatoes

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2014, 14:09
by Nobbie
xx
how do i store new potatoes / plant blighted

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 23:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 38 queries.