Strawberry runners

• 8 Replies

3759allen

Strawberry runners
« on: June 20, 2014, 13:34 »
I have put strawberries into a bed this year. however they are just ones that i found in the garden when i brought the house so have no idea how old or even what variety they are.

they have give fruit this year, not a lot of it and only in a short period of time.

they are producing runners like mad, i was going to pot these up and increase the size of the bed. would it be better to pot up the runners and dig the plants up that are there now and replace with the runners for the future?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 18:56 by Yorkie »

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberry runners
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 00:29 »
Well it sounds as though this is at least their second season, so unless you have loads of space to just take a gamble on them producing next year, I'd restart the bed from scratch with the new runners.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:16 »
This is how i do it. 1st year plant's cut off all runners, 2nd year plant's pot up the runner's you need , 3rd year plant's after fruiting dig them up and replace with the runners.

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:57 »
If the plants aren't producing a lot and not for long, wouldn't you be better off buying some new plants of a known variety & season?

I've a similar situation and have bought some plants and have grown them in pots for the runners this year and will expand the strawberry bed this year.

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 19:35 »
Start from scratch and buy anew with a variety you want.
I have just spent three years trying to resurrect an old bed with runners, and even keeping them back for a year to save energy. All now under 3 years of age. Plenty of flowers but a huge huge disappointment. Not much better than wild strawberries. Small fruit, time to ditch them.
I have another small bed of newly bought in that thrived this year with great fruit.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 20:13 »
If the fruit isn't a great flavour, then I would get new for next year. 
But I revived a bed when I took over this plot and the fruit is absolutely gorgeous.  I don't know the variety, but they are big, juicy and earlier than others in neighbouring plots, so it can be done. 
I'm taking runners off them this year as it has been 3 years now since I took over and split them all up.
Anne

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 13:54 »
I'm not sure if you can just replant a strawberry bed with new ones unless you really revatalise it beforehand.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Headgardener22

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 18:47 »
I have read that strawberries may be affected by replant disease (see RHS) and therefore if its possible, I would have thought that it was better to avoid replanting strawberries in the same place as you've just taken some out. It isn't as bad as roses and apples but can occur.

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 17:53 »
the fruits that i got was blooming lovely, so am reluctant to just get rid. would just like more of them over a longer time.

i'm also growing on a budget, or as everyone else would say 'tight'. i was hoping to only invest in blueberries next year as far as fruit goes. i'm also reluctant to throw anything away if i can make a use of it.

it was a fresh bed this year, but i also have a space put bye to double the size of the current strawberry patch. i didn't know you shouldn't keep using the same place to grow strawberries, i was just going to keep adding mulch to the bed over winter to replace the goodness.

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1
xx
strawberry runners

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2007, 08:00
by crowndale

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.