Fat Hen???

• 4 Replies

Beth

Fat Hen???
« on: January 10, 2008, 13:15 »
Hi Everyone,

One of my hens seems to have changed shape recently! She seems a lot bigger than the others and is waddling rather than walking! It seems thant she put weight on around her bottom (don't we all!  :oops: ). At first I thought she may be trying to lay an egg? But it hasn't changed and as far as i know she never has laid an egg.

She seems happy enough in herself and is eating and drinking plenty but I'm concenred there could be something wrong.

We were told to fatten them up a bit by the vet which we have been, is there a chance she got a bit too fat? She can't get enough of her corn!

Any advice appreciated,
Thanks

Beth

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Fat Hen???
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 15:20 »
Vets often say to fatten them up as they are only used to seeing birds for the dinner table (or on their dinner table).  

A swollen abdomen is a sign of sterile egg peritonitis.  If she seems OK there is not much you can do about it.  If she becomes ill, sitting hunched and not eating then the peritonitis may have become infected and she will require some antibiotics.  As she is a young bird she may grow out of it.

Beth

Fat Hen???
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 18:37 »
Hi Aunt Sally

Thanks for your response,

I must admit I was concerned about fattening them up as I know it's not good for them to be overweight. I think i'll cut back a bit now.

She's 2.5 years old now, and hasn't laid any eggs since we've had her but she did before. I am giving them some pro-biotics as it seemed to do them good last time, hopefully this will help.

I'll keep you posted!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Fat Hen???
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 18:43 »
As she's 2.5 years old it is quite likely to be what I said, but it may get worse and...  :(

Beth

Fat Hen???
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 13:11 »
And there's nothing I can do?

She did the funniest thing this morning, she went straight for her food and was purring while eating it! She sounded like a cat!

I will keep an eye on her,

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 36 queries.