GUTTED - Blackleg !!!!

• 5 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
GUTTED - Blackleg !!!!
« on: June 16, 2014, 18:47 »
I planted several different types of seed potatoes including 'Desiree', I noticed some yellowing leaves in the rows of Desiree yesterday and on closer inspection today have discovered that it's blackleg.  :(

I have four rows of about 12 Desiree, the neighbouring potatoes on either side (Golden Wonder & Romano) are unaffected so far and it just seems to be just the Desiree that have it, all the potatoes apart from one type (Saxon) came from the same supplier, the others potatoes types being grown are Pentland Javelin, Blue Kestrel and Estima.

So far I have dug up and removed the obviously affected plants (yellow leaves, black mushy and watery stems), some of the other plants also had some discoloured leaves but the stems seem fine so I have left them for now pending further advice although I think them being OK is just wishful thinking on my part.

Having not come across this before my questions are (sorry but there are a few) .. .. ..

1. Should I remove all the Desiree, just the ones showing obvious signs of disease or all that I suspect might be affected?

2. How fast will it spread to the other rows?

3. Will the disease stay in the soil, if so how long will it be before I can plant in the same area again?

4. Why is it only the Desiree affected - did I get supplied with a bad batch?

5. Can I eat the potatoes that I dig up when removing the plants.

6. Is it worth keeping the plants in the ground for as long as possible or will this just spread the disease?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 18:49 by MickyB »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: GUTTED - Blackleg !!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 19:06 »
I think this recent thread answers most of your questions  ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=115206.msg1326988#msg1326988

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 19:07 »
Oh dear  :(

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=223

1. Remove the affected plants pronto and I'd just keep an eye on the others.

2. It's mainly weather dependent, so spread partly depends on how closely you've spaced the plants and how the weather dries up / becomes less humid.

3. Rotation in the usual way should be fine.

4. It may have been a poor batch, but it may also be that they are a less resistant variety.  (Have a look on the potato database for info on resistance - I haven't done so).

5.  If they look OK, I'd eat them pronto.  Don't try to store them.

6. Remove any infected plants pronto.

See the RHS guide above for more info.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 19:18 »
Would you remove those plants that only might be affected as a precaution or would it be safe to leave them until it becomes more obvious that they have it? I ask because some of the plants I am not sure about at the moment.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 19:29 »
Will I be able to contain this disease? I am worried that I am going to loose the whole potato crop.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 19:33 »
If you have potatoes of the same variety that are showing early signs, the advice probably would be to cut the foliage down.

However, if you have time to check them at least daily and to take remedial action there and then if required, you might want to take the risk of leaving them in for now.

None of us can give any guarantees about the whole crop, but the more that become infected and left in place too long, the higher the odds would be that you'd lose a higher %  :(

xx
Blackleg

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 16:06
by shokkyy
question
Is this blackleg?

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2014, 22:40
by MickyB
xx
Blackleg!!

Started by kiaweeze on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 23:28
by kiaweeze
xx
Blackleg

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 12:12
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 38 queries.