Gooseberries, supermarket lettuce and pea netting!

• 8 Replies

snooziebunny

HI everyone,

I've got a few newbie questions - so thought I'd put them all in one post  :)

1. I have a gooseberry bush on the plot - how do I know when they're ready to pick? Also do gooseberry bushes have a certain lifespan? Anything I should feed it?

2. Supermarket lettuce - can I plant these and will they grow in to big lettuce? Not having much luck with seeds!

3. The plots either side of mine don't have pea netting, but an old fella walked passed mine today and said 'you'll want netting over those before the wood pigeons get them' - to net or not to net? that is the question!

And on a final note - the seed potatoes and onion sets I planted last weekend are poking through the soil! Soooo exciting!  :D ;)

Thanks for all the help - its really appreciated xx
Sarah xx

Beetroot Queen

Re: Gooseberries, supermarket lettuce and pea netting!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 17:30 »
Lidl sell living lettuce which can be planted and grown on, however if I can grow lettuce so can anyone.
So maybe try a different type.

My peas only get netted at the start. I dont have endless amounts of netting so they have to take turn.

Oh and goosegogs have a bit of a squeeze to them when ready, i think mine were picked too early last year but they were fine.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 17:34 »
... and breath.  :nowink:

1. Rule of thumb for all fruit - give it a gentle tug and twist if it comes off it's ripe.  I've never seen a bush die of old age  ;)
2. Yes, you can plant it. I've done a tray from snasbods myself today.  If you're sowing seeds now they're likely to be too hot, sow them in a shady place away from Mr slug.
3. If you net them you will get a crop, don't net and you might get a crop.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:42 »
Gooseberrys are usually picked green while unripe, so it's just a case of waiting until they are big enough. You can leave the smaller ones to grow a bit more and then either pick them green or wait until they change colour and start to soften. What variety are they? Some go yellow and some go red. I pick all mine while still green for pies and crumbles - yum. Just made some jam  with some this morning, one batch with elderflower cordial and the other with chopped strawberries thrown in after the setting point was reached. Smelled devine :D

snooziebunny

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:02 »
Nobby you're making me drool! lol! 
I've no idea what variety it is, or indeed if there are enough berries to make anything with.... I'll take a picture of it later for identification.
How do you make all this stuff? Got any recipes you'd like to share?  ;)

snooziebunny

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 21:41 »
I can't upload a pic of my gooseberry - apparently my file is too big  :wacko:

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 21:57 »
google how to re size pictures. you need to open and change in paint then it will upload fine.

as far as lettuce, prob the easiest thing to grow from seed. buy some new seeds, sow in a seed tray and dib out into modules. i went with paris island cos from premier seeds, really good crop, good size, you can plant quite close together and easy to grow.

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 07:18 »
Nobby you're making me drool! lol! 
I've no idea what variety it is, or indeed if there are enough berries to make anything with.... I'll take a picture of it later for identification.
How do you make all this stuff? Got any recipes you'd like to share?  ;)

I generally just google 'gooseberry jam' and it's usually the BBC Good Food recipe that I go for, although the river Cottage stuff is good too. I use the lidl babby lettuce to plant out early in the year as I usually forget to sow some. I just break it into clumps and plant about6" apart and harvest as cut and come again.

If you've only got a few gooseberries, then i'd leave them until they go a bit soft and then eat them straight from the bush as they doo get really sweet.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:58 »
The traditional way with gooseberries is to pick every other one now and pick the rest in about a months time when they are properly ripe. That gives you an early picking for making tarts etc and allows the rest to grow bigger.

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Feeding gooseberries and gooseberries in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 21:29
by londongardener
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
Supermarket Veg

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 23:22
by asd1

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.