is it blight?

• 10 Replies

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
is it blight?
« on: June 12, 2014, 23:54 »

I've noticed this on a few of my potato leaves. Is it blight? not really sure. Was thinking of removing all the effected leaves and see if any more show these marks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: is it blight?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:07 »
Is it blight? not really sure. Was thinking of removing all the effected leaves and see if any more show these marks.

That's what I'd do..........if it is blight the plants tend to go downhill quickly if we get a bit of wet weather.
All the time it's dry, and you can pick off any suspect bits, you are gaining a bit more time for the tubers to grow.

Good luck!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 13:16 »
Could be blight, though a bit early methinks? Could also be water droplets that have burnt the leaves when the sun was out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 13:27 »
It's not too early for blight at all.

If you have a look at the blight maps that we keep promoting to assist people in this matter, you'll see plenty of red dots!

http://www.potato.org.uk/fight-against-blight/blight-incidents
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 15:58 »
That could well be blight. Look carefully underneath and see if there is a powdery mould.

This dry weather will slow it down but I would pick off all affected leaves as they will act as a source of spores to spread when it comes humid again.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:24 »
Worrying leaves on mine this morning
Blight June 13th 2014 2.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:02 »
Uh oh!  :(

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 12:25 »
Ye I think it is blight. I did notice someone dumped a load of potatoes on the communal compost heap, seemingly because they had a few holes in them (supermarkets have ruined people....). Whilst it may not be the source I guess it could be.  Wish people would educate themselves more. I would grow them at home but my garden doesn't get enough sun so the allotment is my only choice.

I removed as many leaves that look blighted as I could find. I think it's the lower ones that look worse but they are harder to get to as the canopy between rows is connected now. I will however see if I can remove those lower leaves.

My maincrop potatoes are on my other half plot and don't seem to be as badly effected. So hopefully we get lots of dry warm weather and I don't have too many problems. Having said that there was a thunderstorm last night.....

I have been spraying with a horsetail tea but maybe not often enough. Hopefully that will slow the infection down a bit. My 1st earlies have been in 10 weeks now so I might start digging some up. A little bit early but better to get some than none.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 13:25 »
It's not too early for blight at all.

If you have a look at the blight maps that we keep promoting to assist people in this matter, you'll see plenty of red dots!

http://www.potato.org.uk/fight-against-blight/blight-incidents
Sorry DD - didn't look at the map!

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 17:31 »
My Sharpe' Express has late blight.  Removed all  the foliage.   It doesn't seem to have spread to other varieties on my plot, but I have alerted owner of plot next door who has a suspect looking plant in a tub.   Will spray the rest now and my Home Guard at home, plus the tomatoes.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 17:35 »
We have blight on the site so the old boys and girls think, must say it does look like it.

They have all been spraying which we were going to do however the sky has turned steel grey.
Should you always remove the green affected as the others have let the affected leaves on the plants, i would have stripped all the leaves showing signs and burnt them.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Blight or something else?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 17:55
by Goosegirl
xx
Blight

Started by Diggerpete on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 09:39
by chicken soup
xx
Now That The Blight Is Over?

Started by LilyAnne on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 19:13
by madcat

Page created in 1.064 seconds with 38 queries.