slug pellets

• 11 Replies

dustcartkev

slug pellets
« on: June 06, 2014, 22:14 »
hi all, have been trying Richard Jackson organic slug pellets I think they are great, no harm to pets and birds and when they decompose it feeds the plants, when the slug eats the pellets they go under ground and die, well chuffed. :nowink:

miggs

Re: slug pellets
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 22:46 »
What more could you want. :D

andy dewar

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:03 »
where can you buy them from sound ideal

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 05:56 »
When the Organic pellets are a £1 a tub and not £7-8 a tub then it may be worth thinking about - plus "they go back in the ground to die" and you don't get to see the corpses - sound like a great marketing line for pellets that just feed the slugs  :nowink:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:20 »
When the Organic pellets are a £1 a tub and not £7-8 a tub then it may be worth thinking about - plus "they go back in the ground to die" and you don't get to see the corpses - sound like a great marketing line for pellets that just feed the slugs  :nowink:

At the rate we go through them that price is a no go. I must say I do like seeing the evidence that the pellets work.

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 12:03 »
I went to the 99p shop and they don't have any only the slug-it granules that you have to build up 20 - 40mm around the base of the plant - I was looking and a guy said to me don't bother mate it's bleeping useless

ROYAL=BD=

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 13:52 »
had some of Richards slug pellets brought for me.
they seem to bring more slugs in  :ohmy:
wouldn't buy them myself ...but they are worth a try  ;)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 18:20 »
I went to the 99p shop and they don't have any only the slug-it granules that you have to build up 20 - 40mm around the base of the plant - I was looking and a guy said to me don't bother mate it's bleeping useless

I saw that stuff too. Just had visions of doing a small pile around every cabbage, corn, plant, wouldnt work out very cheap.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 18:39 »
So what are people's opinions on organic slug pellets? Do they actually work? I realise that they are generally more expensive but our site is (trying to be) organic - probably the biggest bugbear for those that aren't particularly bothered about the organic nature of the site is the effectiveness / cost of the organic pellets.
Anyhow, there have been complaints from some of the more organic-serious people on the site about others still using blue death so I guess we'll be having to confront the issue...

Cheers,
Balders

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 18:48 »
I really don't like using them but this year has been particularly bad for slug damage here. They were going after everything and then I ordered some of the "organic" slug pellets and the damage seems to have stopped. Some of my stuff was destroyed but the stuff that was only partially damaged seem to be bouncing back.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 20:12 »
I always use the organic ones but my mum gave me a pot with the label off, and it was sluggy slime trails everywhere, I have to say I quite enjoyed seeing that it was working.  I can't say the same for the organic ones (which are still blue by the way) as there is no way of knowing but I've lost loads of stuff this year despite using them.

al78

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 22:00 »
I paid £4.50 at Wilko's for a tub of the organic slug pellets, which I do not think is expensive at all, in particular compared to slug nematodes (which had no effect on my plot) and the wool pellets (which worked ok last year but not this year). I can't say for sure if they are working as my application of them coincided with a general drop in the slug population, will get a better idea when I can see slug damage on the non-treated areas. I really don't want to use the non-organic pellets for two reasons: 1) the site is on the edge of the countryside and as such there is a lot of wildlife (e.g. frogs and toads) that I do not wish to get poisoned, and 2) my plot is adjacent to a ditch which may well direct water ultimately into the local river and I don't wish to release metaldehyde into the local water courses.

xx
slug pellets

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2022, 17:23
by Candide
xx
Slug Pellets

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 11:48
by LilacSandy
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 16:51
by icbradley
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 17:42
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 37 queries.