Unhappy toms

• 28 Replies

Lardman

Unhappy toms
« on: June 06, 2014, 16:53 »
ideas anyone?

No sign of aphids, no weed killer or possibility of drift, leaves are kept dry although I've had to remove leaves with botrytis from a different plant. All the plants displaying the same curled leaves on new growth.
poorly_sick_toms.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Unhappy toms
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 16:59 »
Hot days with cold nights, always happens  :(

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 17:05 »
It feels different to that MoS (it's also doesn't seem to be happening in the top greenhouse )

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 17:08 »
Does this greenhouse catch the early morning sun, while the plants are still cold/damp?

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 17:19 »
Starts getting the sun around 10:30ish I've normally opened everything up by then, not noticed a lot of condensation on the plants but it has been damper lately. This is the only plant I've noticed where the leaves appear to be dying and not just curled.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 17:35 »
I'm not much help then  :dry:

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 17:57 »
It would be no fun at all if I brought you easy problems to solve MoS  ;)

Im having concerns about this bag of compost... the runners came up blind, the french beans didn't germinate , the melons have died and the beetroot had really low germination.... being by the door this is the tomato pot I chuck leftover compost in.  :unsure:

Paranoia ?

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 18:48 »
I've given up on my usual compost for same reason, texture is off.  I got a bag of Arther Bownes or whatever it's called today for peace of mind.
I'm still chucking fleece over my toms at night in the draughty lean to.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 20:01 »
Interesting report. I am having problems growing tomatoes in 2 of 3 growbags bought this year from the usual  recommended supplier. Two tomato plants died and I replaced them with 2 spares that I had, again in the same bags. Again they are dying. Having grown toms for many years, this is the first time that I have had this problem, and I suspect the growbags. While not peat free, you wonder how much local authority green waste has been added, and what the home gardeners put out to be collected.

Steveharford

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 20:09 »
I think that may just be the reason for the problems. Much of the grass cuttings that find their way to the tip have been chemically treated. Which is why they arent put on the compost heap. Which is why I dont use it. How much of this finds its way into commercial, compost is anyones guess.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 21:07 »
Mine looked a bit like that last week (they are outdoor ones) but this week they have thrived and some have started to flower!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 21:09 »
I have had some rubbish results this year with easy stuff and I am sure some of its compost accountable.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 21:15 »
Any damaged tomato tissue, for whatever reason, is eventually going to be a target for botrytis, especially if you've already had an outbreak of it in your GH.

Get rid of all the affected leaves and maximise the ventilation (you can't do anything about the weather conditions outside.)

Curling leaves seems to be a problem often caused by what Mum referred to in reply #2, and seems to affect some varieties more than others - they usually come through it OK without damage, but if they do start dying off you need to be watchful.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Auntiemogs

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 21:29 »
It would be no fun at all if I brought you easy problems to solve MoS  ;)

Im having concerns about this bag of compost... the runners came up blind, the french beans didn't germinate , the melons have died and the beetroot had really low germination.... being by the door this is the tomato pot I chuck leftover compost in.  :unsure:

Paranoia ?
Not necessarily paranoia Lardy.  :(

I bought some compost last year, and everything I sowed or potted up with it either failed to germinate, or just plain failed.   >:(  I did think it smelled slightly 'off' when I bought it, but I presumed it would be ok as it was from my usual supplier.  I can only think that it was either badly stored from the previous year, or was tainted in some way.  Needless to say, the remaining bag was consigned to the local dump (I detest waste, but I wouldn't risk it, even for mulching).

If you can remember where you bought it from, it may be worth complaining....
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 13:35 »
It feels different to that MoS (it's also doesn't seem to be happening in the top greenhouse )
I was going to echo MOS especially seeing your pic but, if it isn't happening in your other GH, did you use different compost there? Is it bigger or smaller than your other GH, are the pots you used the same size, is it less draughty and/or better insulated? 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
My worms are unhappy :-(

Started by potatopotato on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 16:56
by woodburner
xx
Unhappy rhubarb

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:18
by grenhouse
xx
unhappy rhubarb

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 12:21
by Robster
xx
Unhappy blueberries

Started by Small Potatoes on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 19:02
by SG6

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 38 queries.