Epsom Salts for potatoes

• 8 Replies

cadalot

Epsom Salts for potatoes
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:55 »
I read on here somewhere about giving potatoes some Epsom salts to buck them up when the lower leafs turn yellow - so bought some but how much salt to water do  I use?

BabbyAnn

Re: Epsom Salts for potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:10 »
About 2 tablespoons per gallon for a foliar spray or water in, or a small handful sprinkled round the soil at the base of the plants as a top dressing.  I don't think it needs to be precise - magnesium sulphate is one of those additives which you can get away with adding a little too much without causing problems especially during wet weather when some of it is likely to leach out.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 22:51 »
Lower leaves tend to die off naturally as the higher ones take over. They may not actually need any magnesium.

Deficiency would usually show as yellow blotches between the veins of the leaves.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:06 »
These are not bloches they are yellow dying and on close inspection also getting eaten to death by slugs and snails so a sprinkle of blue pellets of death have been applied.

last year they did not die off so quickly, and the whole lot got really tall and then relaxed and fell over before going yellow.

I know I'm earlier this year with planting but they have grown faster this year than last?. Is it worth removing the dying leafs or am I just making work for myself?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 06:23 »
I just used 2-3 teaspoons per large watering can (no idea how many gallons that is)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:25 »
I just used 2-3 teaspoons per large watering can (no idea how many gallons that is)

I use two per can too, my raspberries have all had a dose.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:31 »
perhaps this ARTICLE ABOUT EPSOM SALT can shed some light on it?

I know I'm earlier this year with planting but they have grown faster this year than last?. Is it worth removing the dying leafs or am I just making work for myself?

What potatoes are you talking about - first earlies?  If so, it may be worth having a furtle as your potatoes may actually be dying off naturally and be ready for harvesting?

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:45 »
The worst are the earlies and second earlies - the main crop went in much later but flowered more than the earlies and at about the same time, and a few of the lower leafs are also going. So as you suggest, it could be natural and the first earlies should be ready at the end of this month beginning of next by my reckoning. They have not grown so tall and flopped overt like last year but then again last year I think over watered, this year with the rain we have had, I've more or less let them get on with it.   

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10 »
About 2 tablespoons per gallon for a foliar spray or water in, or a small handful sprinkled round the soil at the base of the plants as a top dressing.  I don't think it needs to be precise - magnesium sulphate is one of those additives which you can get away with adding a little too much without causing problems especially during wet weather when some of it is likely to leach out.

On the soil will have little effect but may be effective if applied at planting. Applied as a foliar spray the leaves should green up within days. Put magnesium deficiency into google images and you will see what it looks like. Yellowing between the leaf veins and later black spots - not to be confused with blight.

xx
Epsom Salts for Poorly Potatoes: How to apply?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 20:20
by ptarmigan
xx
Epsom salts

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 22:45
by LandShark
xx
Ok got Epsom salts ....... what now?

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 15:24
by mumofstig
xx
Epsom Salts

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 21:43
by noshed

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 36 queries.