*waves* Hi - could any of you offer a new girl some help please?

• 17 Replies

snooziebunny

Hi everyone, I'm brand shiny new to allotment gardening - I got my plot a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty over grown, I've managed to clear and dig over 1/3 of it (approx. 6x3m).  A very kind man gave me 9 runner bean plants, and I have approx. 20 of my own pea plants growing (very exciting!  :) ) Oh and my daughters have a courgette plant and 2 cucumbers planted (do these need netting over?)
So what I want to know is - what else can I grow? I know its late in the year, but hoping theres still something I can get in.... we love greens, is it too late for broccoli? sprouts? cabbage or spring greens?
Thanks so much for all your help, oh and please spell it out clearly - I'm v new and don't know gardening terms yet, but I am getting there slowly  :D
Sarah xx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
You can sow cabbage, Early Sprouting Broccoli, Winter cauliflower, swede and later on your Spring greens.

It's a bit late for Brussels but you should be able to get plants from the garden centre.

The site's sowing chart should help
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-month-help/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

snooziebunny

Great thankyou Lesley, that's really helpful - off to the garden centre in a bit so will have a look out for some sprout plants - my girls are very excited about growing Christmas dinner  :nowink:
Is it too late to plant potatoes? x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
It's not too late to put many things into your plot. 

Some 'Autumn King 2' or 'Nantes 5' carrots, runner bean, raddish, dwaft french beans, beetroot, salad leaves, purple sprouting broccoli, and many more.  Also go to the garden centre/nursery as see if they are selling off any veg plants at a reasonable price too.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
Yes try the garden centre's I got a tray of beetroot for the princely sum of £1  :nowink: :) :D :lol:

Goosegirl

Great thankyou Lesley, that's really helpful - off to the garden centre in a bit so will have a look out for some sprout plants - my girls are very excited about growing Christmas dinner  :nowink:
Hello snoozie and welcome to this brilliant site! On here, you will find all the help and advice you need to get the best out of both your plot and you. May I also suggest buying John's book as it is very good, especially if you're just starting. There are some rules though.  :ohmy: No question is stupid, there are no limits as to how many times you need to ask about something, if you do something wrong, it can usually be sorted out, we share both our successes (we are allowed to boast) and failures (we are allowed to have a moan) in order to learn from them, pics are good, as are updates on your progress. Just one thing - we are definitely NOT allowed to mention the Christmas word until December! If you do, you will most likely be put on the "Norty Step" - and that's a place you do NOT want to go!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

Not too late if you can find some "early" seed potatoes.

... Just one thing - we are definitely NOT allowed to mention the Christmas word until December! If you do, you will most likely be put on the "Norty Step" - and that's a place you do NOT want to go!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Oh yussss ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Hi Snoozie

I just wanted to add that it will be helpful to put your locality in your profile so it shows by your avatar, as conditions vary hugely across our membership  :D :D

Good luck with your new plot
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

Hi Snoozie,welcome to the site,always lots of friendly banter  on here. Oh & you will find you get lots of answers to one question.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JohnB47

Courgettes don't need covered up, although they can get munched by slugs and snails. Not sure about cucumber - don't these need to be grown in a greenhouse or polytunnel?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
cucumber - don't these need to be grown in a greenhouse or polytunnel?

There are quite a few varieties of ridge (outdoor) varieties  ;) - they only need nets if you want to grow the cukes up them, rather than on the ground.

3 allotments

• now is the time
Hi snoozie, welcome to this very informative site you cant really go wrong with all of us know alls  :D enjoy your garden all the best Darren ;)
diggity dig dig

Robster

Hi Snoozie,
Welcome to the site and congratulations on having simply the best hobby you can possibly imagine.  Productive, fun, quality vegetables and quality people.  And if you do get one of John's books you will realise how much you will save on gym fees!

As you have all ready become aware people up the lofty are very likely to offer you loads of stuff that you can put in now.  If it were me I'd get up the garden shop and get some plants for all those brassicas that should already have been sown.  You'll need to net these.  I'd sow salady leafy things, beetroot chard.  I'd also get some runner bean seeds as well.  Plenty of time for a good crop from those.

Have a great time

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Hi and welcome to the site, I can't add anymore really than what others have said except enjoy it all and take it one step at a time (says she who had her plot February and it's all ship shape and planted already but then mine was not overgrown) we all learn something new as there are so many different ways to do things so just do what best suits you. Good luck with it all  :D

meggymoo

:) hiya,i am also very new to the site and the growing of the green wot nots,but have manged to accumalate some extra cabbage (six plants) if you would like them i will gladly send them off to you.
do one good turn a day.

xx
ALLOTMENT OFFER!

Started by goose on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 12:32
by Carol
xx
Seeds on offer

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 14:37
by gowing238
xx
Potato offer

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 20:08
by mumofstig
xx
T & M Special Offer

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 20, 2006, 09:49
by John

Page created in 1.516 seconds with 39 queries.