broad bean varieties

• 14 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

broad bean varieties
« on: May 28, 2014, 19:11 »
What is the favoured variety grown by commercial growers? Also, which bean, in the opinion of members, has the best flavour?

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: broad bean varieties
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 20:18 »
I've grown wizzard last 2 years stands well over winter short growing, tasty and high yeald per plant.

Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 21:25 »
My first year growing Wizard.  Nothing to eat yet, so can't comment on taste.  However they overwintered very well, only 1 seed didn't make it.   They are self supporting and absolutely loaded with flowers, so I am anticipating a good crop.

In previous years I have grown Aquadulce Longpod.  It has been OK, but prone to chocolate spot.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 22:34 »
Commercial growers tend to use completely different varieties to us 'amateurs' and you're not likely to find most of them listed in home grower seed catalogues.

If you live in a windy area like me I'd go for 'The Sutton' which is a dwarf variety and will give a good yield from a small space. Masterpiece green longpod is also a good old favourite although I have to tie the stems to canes  to keep them upright.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:54 »
just been reading on the internet
Wizzard is one of the top varieties of 'winter bean' that the farmers grow mainly for the export market and animal feed. High yeald and disease resistance and extremely hardy.

RaptorUK

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:22 »
just been reading on the internet
Wizzard is one of the top varieties of 'winter bean' that the farmers grow mainly for the export market and animal feed. High yeald and disease resistance and extremely hardy.

I grew 32 sq m of these as a green manure . . .  didn't realise Field Beans and Broad Beans were the same thing  ???

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:56 »
I have grown 'Masterpiece Green Longpod' the last 2 or 3 years now. They never let me down and they taste great.
I stick them straight in the ground and let them do their thing ;)

heloise

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09 »
I tried the Sutton a few years back but they didn't do well. My bean of choice which always does do well on our plot is Bunyard's Exhibition - tasty and reliable.

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 18:06 »
I grow what is cheap by the help-yourself bucket from my local garden centre... Imperial, Masterpiece, and aquadulce. 300 seeds, by weight about £1.  All taste fine to me although they can get a bit out of control.

I like the Sutton taste and manageability as a Spring sown crop, but I can no longer condone the ludicrous price for a few seeds in a packet thing.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 18:10 »
I grew 32 sq m of these as a green manure . . .  didn't realise Field Beans and Broad Beans were the same thing  ???

They're not the same thing; they look similar but aren't identical.  I've eaten field beans and they tasted completely different to broad beans.  A bit more like edamme beans, perhaps.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 18:24 »
I grow what is cheap by the help-yourself bucket from my local garden centre... Imperial, Masterpiece, and aquadulce. 300 seeds, by weight about £1.  All taste fine to me although they can get a bit out of control.

My beans are always bought like this - I buy 40-50 for about 40p ;)
I get to select the best looking beans too :D

RaptorUK

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 23:07 »

They're not the same thing; they look similar but aren't identical.  I've eaten field beans and they tasted completely different to broad beans.  A bit more like edamme beans, perhaps.

OK,  when I search for Broad Bean Wizard I find field beans not Broad Beans . . .  and when I searched for Broad Bean vs Field Bean I found Vicia faba . . . 

Vicia faba, also known as the broad bean, fava bean, faba bean, field bean, bell bean, or tic bean, is a species of bean (Fabaceae) native to North Africa, southwest and south Asia, and extensively cultivated elsewhere

. . . hence my confusion.  :unsure:

Madame Cholet

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 23:22 »
Wizzard  field beans taste like broad beans to me look the same too

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 23:36 »

OK,  when I search for Broad Bean Wizard I find field beans not Broad Beans . . .  and when I searched for Broad Bean vs Field Bean I found Vicia faba . . . 

Vicia faba, also known as the broad bean, fava bean, faba bean, field bean, bell bean, or tic bean, is a species of bean (Fabaceae) native to North Africa, southwest and south Asia, and extensively cultivated elsewhere

. . . hence my confusion.  :unsure:
That's confused me now - I thought fava beans were yellow split peas :unsure: they were when cooked in Santorini - like yellow split pea hummous :D

Headgardener22

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 07:18 »

I like the Sutton taste and manageability as a Spring sown crop, but I can no longer condone the ludicrous price for a few seeds in a packet thing.

If you are complaining about price, try Moles seeds, they do a reasonable price and a good choice oof varieties.

xx
french bean varieties

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 11:53
by Lottiegob
xx
Soya / edamame bean varieties

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2021, 21:34
by Ema
xx
broad bean

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 16:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Broad bean

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 30, 2018, 12:01
by mjg000

Page created in 0.573 seconds with 37 queries.