Is it just me ?
« on: May 27, 2014, 20:05 »
is it just me or is everything just not growing  :(

we only have 4 months (  16 weeks ) of growing season left  :ohmy:

at this rate it will be baby crops not big fat juicy ones  :(

Steveharford

Re: Is it just me ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 20:23 »
Not here. Weeds are doing terrifically well! But seriously, I'm really happy with my tomatoes and potatoes. Spring onions doing well. Radish being their usual belligerent little ****s. Beans fine. Onions and garlic really great. Courgettes and marrows pretty slow and germination was abominable. Herbs good. Chillies and peppers about right. So.... Overall, not complaining.

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 20:25 »
My problem they are growing too fast and the weather isn't helping me to work on the allotment and get them in

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 20:45 »
No it isn't just you. My potatoes are growing fine, but things like onions, leeks, beans, carrots, brassicas and raspberries are either very slow or just sat there and sulked when I put them in the ground (yes I did harden them off first). The perennial herbs (sage and chives) seem to be ok, both are currently in flower which are providing a nectar source for the bees. I'm considering utilising the RHS soil testing service as I have a feeling something is not quite right with the soil somehow.

The weather has now regressed back to early March so I doubt much growing is going to happen this week.  :mad:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 21:11 »
Same here. I can't get the beetroot to germinate.

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 21:37 »
Same here. I can't get the beetroot to germinate.

I have some in the ground and the second wave in the greenhouse and should be ready to transplant out in a couple of weeks

Jackypam

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 22:18 »
Beans (of all things) are being difficult. Never had a problem with runners and haricot before!  Courgette took 3 attempts to germinate and the sweetcorn is only 6 inches tall but have planted it out anyway to see if that helps.  Alliums are fine and broad beans are looking as of they will have a good crop eventually... :unsure:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:56 »
Hoping broad beans for next weekend I need to get all my stuff in growing like mad.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 07:29 »
Finland here.

Growing season here started a month ago. Last week we had superb weather, and most veggies were growing like crazy. But now it is 7-8 degrees  centrigrade and rain during the day. Night temperature last night was 5 degrees centrigrade in my greenhouse.

Growing season will only last another 3 months. You can't rely on the weather here after august ends.

I had to move 100 tomato plants and seedlings back inside my house. Many of them are already in their final pots and considerably big. Some already carry tomatoes. My kitchen table is full of pots. My living room floor is also looking very green.

I am not so worried. Every year there seems to be one category of vegetables that just doesn't work. But then some other veggies do really well.

This year my cabbage seedlings just stopped growing. Last year my leek just gave up.

I am pretty sure i am doing something wrong sometimes, but some years the microclimate suits certain veggies just better than others. What works one year doesn't always work the next year for me. But maybe it is also because the growing season is so short here. No room for errors.

dugless

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:01 »
Had my first helping of broad beans yesterday.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 08:07 »
My problem they are growing too fast and the weather isn't helping me to work on the allotment and get them in

The same here.
Got lots of stuff growing in pots as well as them allotment, but finding it difficult to get the stuff in pots in the ground.

French beans, sulked, and snuffed it though so will have to start some more. Runner beans are growing well though.

chillimummy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 08:22 »
My potatoes and onions doing really well and rain and sun helping recently planted brassicas.
Ages ago did sow peas,mange tout,kale and spinach and nothing! A few nibbled peas peeping out but thats it :(
Wondering whether to resow and cover this time?
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 08:40 »
Cabbages look good.  Broad beans planted in autumn are looking great with loads of flowers but no beans yet.   Potatoes coming along nicely apart from 2 with a couple of yellow tinged leaves, but not too worried about them.   Some gaps in beetroot, carrot and parsnip germination, but they are through.   The beetroot has taken its time, but I don't sow carrots and parsnips until the first week in May as earlier sowings always fail for me.

Peas are starting to motor on now, again a couple of gaps to fill.

I don't have any tender crops, beans, sweetcorn, cucumber, courgettes, squash or tomatoes outside yet.  I have just started hardening these off a couple of days ago but will keep them indoors today and tomorrow as we have strong winds forecast.

I would say this is about average progress for round here, but it would be nice for some good weather from now onwards so things can race away.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 09:10 »
I was very late sowing stuff anyway and the mini heatwave the other week really helped to get things moving.  But since the weekend, everything has just stopped  :(  The dwarf french beans were popping up like jack in a box, now they are still 1st two leaves and looking rather sorry for themselves especially with all the slugs and snails circling them like sharks (another dose of slug pellets down)

I'm quietly confident that all will work out in the end .....

Rhuby

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 09:15 »
Yep same here in the South. Potatoes growing fine. Everything else is either not growing or been eaten by slugs. Remember all that rain we've had, well my plot is very prone to marshyness so any rain is just saturating the ground. I think for future reference, we may need to raise the ground level or make raised beds.
Re sweetcorn, I only have 3 plants the rest are still in the propagator, and beetroot is pathetic  :(
Organic

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 37 queries.