earthing up potatoes, straw?

• 9 Replies

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
earthing up potatoes, straw?
« on: May 27, 2014, 13:58 »
Hi,

I've been earthing up my potatoes and they have grown so much it's difficult to get the soil any higher. It's going to be a big job of digging loads of soil from another area of the allotment and wheel barrowing it across to cover.
I was wondering about buying a windbreak (or two) to put around them  and cover with straw rather than more soil.

What do you think? Anyone tried something similar.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 16:57 by DD. »
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

Goosegirl

Re: earthing up potato's, straw?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 14:22 »
I think I'm right in saying that the main reason for earthing up is to stop any pots at the top from being exposed to the light or they will go green and be uneatable, so anything that cuts out the light will do. If you have no more soil to put on, you can use grass cuttings (not too much or it goes slimy), wood or paper shreddings, straw etc.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: earthing up potatoes, straw?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 16:58 »
The question is, "do you actually need to earth up any more"?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 17:33 »
The question is, "do you actually need to earth up any more"?
Answer - I have no idea!! They seem to have quite a lot of stem exposed and they haven't flowered yet, so I didn't know if potatoes might be formed from the exposed stem yet.

I've done it by the way, put some posts around and plastic  and put two bales of straw in. I placed it carefully around each plant to try and cut out light, it seems to stay where it put so far!  It's will be interesting to see if I do get potatoes in the straw bit or just under the earth.

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 17:34 »
I agree with DD's implication. Earthing up isn't a need in itself. If the potatoes were planted deep enough and the threat of frost has gone, why bother any more ? Very few potatoes break surface after one or two earhtings up. I only bother with one. More important is getting enough water from now on and when the things are lifted.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 18:34 »
Are they earlies, lates, or something in between?

Certainly no point trying to keep earlies even partially buried now because they won't have time to produce any sizeable new tubers before you lift them, and it would be counter-productive anyway as it's the exposed foliage which produces the food to swell the spuds.

Using straw to mulch late varieties might be OK, but I'd be a bit concerned it may also create a slug refuge around them - if you are growing maincrop spuds IIRC there are members who do use straw for this purpose who may wish to advise...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 18:39 »
I certainly wouldn't bother barrowing soil from one part to another - you're only making problems in subsequent seasons when you need to barrow it back, or leave that part permanently depleted.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 19:05 »
After the final earthing up, I usually lay some grass cuttings over them as well. Yesterday, I harvested some broad beans, chopped up the pods and chucked then on as well. It will all rot down and put goodness in the soil when dug in after the spuds have been dug up.

ghost61

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 19:24 »
Not all potatoes flower - what variety are they?

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:25 »
JayG    I think that where I am it is still worth earthing up both earlies and second earlies as it will be some time before I
lift any spuds from the ground.       Those in the greenhouse however are ready now, just as well as I need the space.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

xx
Earthing up of potatoes

Started by davel831 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 02:40
by Paul Plots
xx
Earthing up Potatoes

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 20:57
by skywalker
xx
Earthing up potatoes

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 15, 2006, 15:51
by Ian_P
xx
Earthing up Potatoes - how!?

Started by jaffa_cakes on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 08:42
by Oliver

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 29 queries.