Advice on keeping quail please

• 2 Replies

judi

Advice on keeping quail please
« on: May 24, 2014, 19:02 »
I'm thinking of keeping a few quail for their eggs. I would like to keep them outside on grass and would welcome any advice regarding the best (ie hardiest) breed and the most appropriate housing. The latter needs to be easily moved by one person. Many thanks.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Advice on keeping quail please
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 20:51 »
Quail are lovely birds and the eggs are great.

By keeping on grass, do you mean grazing in a moveable run like chickens might? Generally quail are not grazers although they will eat grass (be careful it is not too long as they can get impacted) but they are ground dwellers and they like having a dust bath and a forage about for grubs etc.

They need a covered run as they fly very well and if out, you will be VERY lucky to get any back. I tended to keep mine in rabbit hutch with or without an attached run and they always seemed very happy.
There is a great book on Starting with Quail by Katie Thear that is great to get going with.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Sassy

Re: Advice on keeping quail please
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 11:49 »
Whatever you keep them in they need to have at least 2'6 headroom. Especially if startled they fly up vertically, if not enough headroom they damage their heads. I had one that broke its neck and I assume that is how, despite 3'6 of headroom!

If you search the internet there is conflicting advice as to how hardy they are. More that says they are not suited to our winters. I kept mine in a large coop in a stable under an open window. I had them during 2 of the very coldest winters including two days of minus 18degrees and many weeks where the temperature did not rise above zero. I would cover the coop top with carpet during the night only and they were fine.

They are easy to keep and if it wasn't for a local flood risk due to damaged flood banks I would replace the ones that drowned.

Be aware whilst I provided covered shelter they do not nest/roost. They must not have feed with an anti coccidiostat (ACS) in. Mine laid very well on chick crumb. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
keeping quail

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 08:30
by Sassy
xx
Help with Quail keeping and ID

Started by norfolkchucks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:05
by FCG
xx
not sure about keeping quail now!

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 10:00
by ginaclements
xx
keeping quail and chickens together!

Started by Sopho on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 18:58
by Sopho

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 30 queries.