What is causing these holes???

• 15 Replies

Woody

What is causing these holes???
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:11 »
Hi All,

I was just doing a bit of weeding on my plot yesterday and noticed that my Cauliflower seedlings are looking really poor and are hardly growing, considering they've been planted 3 weeks ago now they are way behind my neighbours on the next plot to me and mine went in first.

Here's a couple of photo's:

Any advice on what it is or how to stop it much appreciated!
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning. We will remember them.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: What is causing these holes???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:18 »
Hi Woody - I'm no expert (have no room for Brassica's on my plot) - Are the plants covered? If not - could be the Cabbage White butterfly... alternatively could be flea beetle?

If it's cabbage whites you need some netting with (very) small holes... if it's flea beetle, then in my 5 years of plotting I haven't found anything to solve that problem!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:59 »
I would say flea beetle too.

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:39 »
Hi

I had the same problem with flea beetles attacking my cauliflower and calabrese. I sprayed with PY garden insect killer which is organic and it seems to have done the trick :)

http://www.vitax.co.uk/home-garden/py-spray-garden-insect-killer-concentrate/

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:46 »
btw Cabbage White butterflies don't actually eat the leaves but lay eggs and it is the caterpillars that do the most damage.  Debris netting is very good - last year I finally got round to buying some for the brassica cages and not only did they keep the butterflies out but I also found a multitude of other pests were prevented from getting inside the cage too.

Your soil looks incredibly dry (obviously I can't see if it is moist underneath) - if the soil is short of water it will slow down growth as the plant will be unable to take up nutrients.   Also, do you know the soil pH - did you put any lime down when planting them out.  And have you got any fertiliser in the soil?  I think a nitrogen boost might also help to get things moving.

One other thing - I noticed you have 2 plants in the second photo.  You might want to take one out otherwise they'll be competing for water and nutrients and neither will likely do well.

Woody

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 20:28 »
Hi folks and thanks for the replies!

mjpalin, I have them in some cages that I built with ½" wire mesh to stop butterflies getting in but no they're not covered as such.

Chaz1985, Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try and track some down but that's pretty hard to find these days.

BabbyAnn, 2½-3 foot down it's quite a Clay'ish based soil so holds quite a lot of water really, especially when it floods in Winter but as you point out it does look very dry on the surface, if you remove 10mm from the surface and you will see nice rich dark moist soil. I usually tend to water my plot twice a day three times when it's really hot. Well spotted, yes there are two-three seedlings in each spot, I planted the seeds like that so it's easier for thinning out. I use Chicken manure pellets, Fish blood & bonemeal and compost from the bin. I suppose it could do with a load of well rotted Horse manure being dug in to it really too.

Anyway peeps, thanks for the help/advice it's much appreciated!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 20:52 »
2 or 3 times a day  :ohmy: mine are lucky to get that a week in the hottest spells - once a week is usually the limit. If you overwater you will encourage the roots to stay shallow and they won't go down to find that nice moist soil and they rely on you more so are more susceptible to all sorts of things.

Debris netting definitely works at keeping all sorts at bay and not just cabbage whites - I had a much better crop than my neighbour last year despite doing similar things to the plants.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 21:02 »
But what is causing the holes?  My first thought was flea beetle cos I get it every year, particularly on brassicas, although this year it has turned its attention to the potatoes  ???  My experience was that the flea beetle didn't do too much harm to the plant, although I don't think all the holes help exactly.  How do you get rid of it? 

dalemellor

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 15:42 »
Deffo flea beetle...think I have same issue. Found this http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=510

Woody

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 03:29 »
Does anybody know if a spray made up with Indian Neem Oil would work as a type of organic insecticide against them? I know it works for other stuff like red spider mites and possibly even thrips (although I haven't tried it on them yet, just red spider mites)???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 13:15 »
As it's not licensed for use as a pesticide, we can't recommend its use.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 23:36 »
Does anybody know if a spray made up with Indian Neem Oil would work as a type of organic insecticide against them? I know it works for other stuff like red spider mites and possibly even thrips (although I haven't tried it on them yet, just red spider mites)???
I have a bottle of neem oil and it has a skull and crossbone on it and says not to use on things to be eaten so be VERY careful i wouldon't use it myself on veg  maybe read up on it a bit more just in case good luck
diggity dig dig

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 11:03 »
Neem based foliar sprays and insecticides are available for sale in USA and other countries but were banned for use in the UK in Nov.2010.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 12:57 »
Woody, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Small White butterflies can fold their cheeky little wings and wiggle through half inch mesh to lay eggs on your precious brassicas  :ohmy: :ohmy:

I know your original post was about the little holes (which has been answered already by several posters  :D ), but I thought I should warn you about these butterflies soon to arrive in large numbers.

As RJR said, debris netting does a good job, as does netting with holes about 1cm square.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 13:07 »
and the cabbage moth has a wingspan 37-45 mm. so the smaller the holes the better, really  :(
http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=82

clip
What is causing this

Started by Shaun Sleightholm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 06:03
by Shaun Sleightholm
clip
Parsnips - what's causing this on them

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 17, 2014, 15:20
by beesrus
xx
Currant damage, what could be causing it?

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 11:54
by corndolly
xx
Broad beans... what is causing this?

Started by brightgirls on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 05:37
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.855 seconds with 30 queries.