Keeping chicken...

• 4 Replies

Willow_Warren

Keeping chicken...
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:35 »
... I know that this has been raised a few times before but...

As I've talked about in several other threads I'm buying a house - no going back now exchanged contracts!

As I suspected would be the case there is a restrictive covenant that states I cannot keep chickens (or pigs!!) without council permission (I can't remember the exact words).

Now I wouldn't know off hand who at the council to ask - these covenants were drawn up back in 1984 ish.  Both houses either side are both privatly owned and not council anymore - not sure about the one that is at the back of the house.

I am worried that the garden isn't big enough for my chickens (I have 4 hybrids and 3 pekin bantams), it will certainly not give them the freedom they are used to.

I am aware of the 1950s allotment act but also aware that it has not been challanged in court and although it states "gardens" it was written and devised with allotments in mind.

So what do I do?

A - move all the chicken in and hope for the best
B - rehome all the chickens in the next couple of weeks
C - seek permission from the council which may of may not appear and they may or may not approve.
D - Rehome the 4 hybrids (not easy as they are old - two of them very old) and take the pekins with me (afterall they are small and cute, people won't think of them so much as chickens - plus the size of the garden is more suited to them).

If it wasn't the council detailed as the people enforcing the covernant I don't think I would be so worried! What is the worst they can do?  It's not like I'm looking to get chickens I already have them!

Thanks

Hannah

hen addict

Re: Keeping chicken...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:49 »
Move in with the chucks say nothing and see what happens? The worst that could happen is that you are told to get rid of them. The best... nobody is knowledgeable of the rules and hopefully they have more in life to worry about than a few chickens!!   
Ps  No cockerel that would really rock the boat. Good luck
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 13:43 »
Move the chickens in and keep fingers crossed  ;)

It's what my daughter did, no cockerel - so no complaints  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 17:17 »
you are right the allotment act does allow you to keep chickens and the council cannot stop you (and may need this pointing out to them if necessary), however in order to minimise any problems please keep on top of your animal husbandry, keep their feed in a metal bin, keep them clean and never leave food out over night.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:23 »
Agree Joyfull. Amazing how these 'rules' keep appearing on deeds. :nowink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
New to Chicken-keeping

Started by Frothgar on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 12:15
by themagicaltoad1
xx
New to chicken keeping

Started by bibbyuk on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 08:58
by bibbyuk
xx
New to Chicken keeping!

Started by violet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 21:45
by chicken soup
xx
new to chicken keeping

Started by westie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 19:34
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.853 seconds with 38 queries.