Keeping Chicks

• 8 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Keeping Chicks
« on: May 17, 2014, 21:15 »
Hello all,

Thinking of keeping some chicks, I have hens, but always get them from p.o.l, but all that seems to be happening is prices keep going up and up! Therefore thinking of getting chicks or eggs and raising them, my question is I know all p.o.l come fully injected etx, how would I go about making sure my chicks become healthy hens? Ie jabs, medication etc!

Thanks

Rich Chicken
Rich_Chicken :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Keeping Chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 22:18 »
most pure breed hens from small hobby breeders do not have any vaccinations, the reason being is that most vaccines come in batches of 500 and 1000, some once opened have to be used within 1 hour (Mareks). It is recommended that you don't mix vaccinated with non vaccinated however I've never had a problem with having both together.
are you going to get colour or feather sexed day olds? If not have you thought that the usual ratio of males/female is often 50/50 however it has been know to have all males in a hatch.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 18:12 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 13:29 »
Follow Joyfulls advice, educate yourself about chicken welfare, practice good housekeeping, never think it will be alright to take shortcuts. :)

Then enjoy :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

RICH_Chicken

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 17:52 »
Thanks,

I've had chickens for a while now, so got a good idea on chicken welfare etx, what is the idea behind sexing chicks at one day old? Is this accurate or not?

Thanks

Rich chicken

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 18:11 »
not unless they are colour sexed (there are a few people in the world that can sex ordinary chickens at day old but most of these aren't in this country and command a very high wage because it is that difficult).

RICH_Chicken

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 20:11 »
I'm confused with the term coloured sex? Is it going on colour of bird?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 20:50 »
there are certain crosses where the female chicks are hatched as one colour and the males another.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 11:17 »
Thanks,

I've had chickens for a while now, so got a good idea on chicken welfare etx, what is the idea behind sexing chicks at one day old? Is this accurate or not?

Thanks

Rich chicken

Apologies, I did not read your question properly! It is great to have chicks but you would need to know what you would do with the boys. If you are happy to eat them you could get a dual purpose breed. You would find it very difficult, if not impossible, to re-home them. Google auto-sexing breeds of chickens.  :)

hen addict

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 18:52 »
If it helps  an auto sexing bread is where the chicks hatch a particular colour ie.. the hens are a darker buff colour the  cocks  pale yellow or in some breeds the hens will have a definite striped back the cocks will have a spot on the head.  As joyfull says it depends on what breed or combination of breeds are put together and what you want? A good laying hybrid or table utility strain?  If it's both I would suggest a pure RIR cockerel on a pure LS hen this would give you buff hens and pale yellow cocks at hatch. The cocks would go on to be pretty good table birds and the hens good layers.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

xx
Keeping a light on for chicks

Started by Cat on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 29, 2008, 16:01
by Aunt Sally
xx
Keeping chicks and hen separate

Started by valgrace on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 20:57
by Pretty Chick
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.