pruning raspberries after a mistake last year.

• 13 Replies

3759allen

pruning raspberries after a mistake last year.
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:25 »
after making the mistake of cutting back the first year canes that i think i should have left last year (even though they did flowers and crop (a long story that i've asked about previously so won't go into it again).

i left some canes (actually just thin and spindly twigs really) but i was concerned about leaving absolutely nothing for this year so left them in. these have now grown pretty well and now have just started producing the start of flowers, even though there are still flowers from last year that have died back :wacko:.

i also have plenty of fresh canes coming through, they look healthy and think although they aren't that tall as yet (to be expected i guess). the trouble i'm seeing now is there maybe too many fresh canes coming up, which i'm concerned may lead to taking too much energy and not producing a small amount of quality canes for next year. i have been feeding with BFB and they are under a heavy mulch of rabbit manure.

unfortunately i don't know what variety they are, but they flowered and cropped quite early last year and as they are starting to produce flowers now i'm guessing they are some sort of summer variety.

so basically should i thin down the canes to leave the healthiest 3 or 4 canes per plant or just let them get on with it and try to rectify the situation next year?

Ivor Backache

Re: pruning raspberries after a mistake last year.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 16:19 »
You describe a similar situation that I have. Planted 6 summer canes last year, which produced a small crop and new canes. Cut off the old ones and now they too are flowering. The new growth for this year is coming through....everywhere. I have literally hoed dozens from the path. They are very evasive.
In your case I would leave them alone. You can always thin them out later when you have a better picture .
Summer canes are tall and singular whereas the autumn are smaller and more branched.

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 21:29 »
thanks for the reply.

these things are confusing me too much.

by the end of last year they produced 3-4 fresh canes per plant, but as these had cropped so i cut them out. think i should have left them in now for this year.

when would i expect to see fruit from summer varieties, and when would i expect to see fruit from autumn varieties?

crh75

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 14:25 »
Summer varieties fruit from June to July and maybe a bit later depending on the variety.  Autumn fruiting canes fruit from August until the first frosts.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 15:47 »
thanks for that. i'll leave them for this year and see when they crop.

if they are summer varieties, as i cut most of them down to the ground would this affect when they crop this year (i'm guessing so) or will they just produce canes for next year with no fruit?

crh75

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 16:52 »
If they are summer varieties then, yes, they will produce canes which will crop next year.

beesrus

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 17:43 »
Allen, unfortunately some Summer and Autumn varieties seem to almost overlap on the cusp. The simplest method is to mark or note somehow which canes fruit in a particular year, and then cut bck all of those canes in December, Autumn or Summer fruiting. You will always see old withered fruit stalks on canes that have fruited.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 18:48 »
thanks for that. i'll leave them for this year and see when they crop.
if they are summer varieties, as i cut most of them down to the ground would this affect when they crop this year (i'm guessing so) or will they just produce canes for next year with no fruit?
You seem determined to cut your canes. The canes with flowers are your crop for this year. During Autumn cut these canes out. All the remaining growth is potentially your crop for next year. Select up to a maximum of 6 strong canes per plant and remove the rest. During weeding and picking in summer, check the growth and if you think there are too many suckers then remove the smallest at soil level. This will enable the plant to develop the best canes for you to make your final decision. If you cut most of your canes now I would imagine you would have a poor crop next year.

My summer raspberries are currently a mass of growth out of which the canes I selected (2 a plant)  have now grown to over 5' and covered in flower buds. They need better support, and I will need to use canes. Next year I should have an even bigger crop.

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 19:34 »
i don't really want to cut any canes, i made the mistake last year of cutting the canes out that i think i should have left.

so from all the replies i think i'm going to leave everything as it is for this season. leave them all in until december time. cut back any dead and woody canes. remove the weakest looking canes and suckers to leave 4 or so of the strongest canes per plant in place for next year. then hopefully next year i will have a better idea if they are summer or autumn.

have i got that right? any one have any better ideas or disagree about the plan?

thanks all.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 07:41 »
Your new canes that don't fruit this year will fruit next year so when you cut the ones that have fruited this year right down to ground leave the ones that didn't fruit for next year. Our canes are tied  to a wire which is between two wooden posts. In autum we cut the fruited canes right down and the space the new growth so they are in a row and tie to the wire. Here is a link which might help.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/raspberries?type=f

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 07:53 »
You describe a similar situation that I have. Planted 6 summer canes last year, which produced a small crop and new canes. Cut off the old ones and now they too are flowering. The new growth for this year is coming through....everywhere. I have literally hoed dozens from the path. They are very evasive.

Are you finding that hoeing is enough to stop them Ivor? I have a similar problem to you, I moved my rasps to a new area over the winter, and I thought I'd dug all the roots out, but suckers are coming up several feet from their old location, in my rose bed, in the lawn and in the middle of my broad bean patch.  I keep digging the bllghters out where I can, and pulling them off where I can't dig, but they just keep popping up elsewhere!

Is roundup the answer?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:06 »
If you have the summer fruiting canes tied in to a post & wire structure, after they have fruited cut out the canes that are tied in. Then you can tie in the new canes that are growing around the base to fruit next summer,cut out any of those that are spindly & jobs a good one. No more confusion. Summer fruiting- fruit in summer. Autumn fruiting don't need to be tied to post & wire structure but may need a bit of a loop of string around the whole lot to contain them, prune them in the winter to ground level,in spring you will see new shoots coming for your next crop of fruit in the autumn.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

3759allen

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:25 »
Your new canes that don't fruit this year will fruit next year so when you cut the ones that have fruited this year right down to ground leave the ones that didn't fruit for next year. Our canes are tied  to a wire which is between two wooden posts. In autum we cut the fruited canes right down and the space the new growth so they are in a row and tie to the wire. Here is a link which might help.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/raspberries?type=f

this is what i thought when i pruned them last year, but the few canes i did leave in that had cropped are now lush, green and producing flowers again. hence why i'm confussed.

if i wait long enough i take it the old canes will die off themselves and i will know that these need to be cut out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 10:10 »
The distinction between summer and autumn-fruiting rasps isn't as clear cut as some of us would like it to be - there are early and late varieties of both, and your location and growing conditions can also affect the timings.

Also true that canes don't always conveniently die back after fruiting - autumn ones often survive over winter if not cut back and produce some fruit the following summer, but you have to suspect that allowing them to do this will affect the autumn crop proper (as well as adding to the general sense of confusion!)

If in doubt, the simple rule, for both types, is to cut back after fruiting however 'lively' the canes may still look - as already posted, if new summer canes are tied in you have an additional check as to which ones will need to come out after fruiting the following year.

As far as getting rid of unwanted shoots is concerned, if they're coming up in the middle of your other crops then hoeing the tops off is probably your only option, but the odds are they will keep regenerating and you won't permanently get rid of them until you find and dig out the whole root.

To reduce the problem of suckers appearing some distance from the plants you do want to keep, the barrier method I posted about recently does work:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=114456.msg1315051#msg1315051
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Growing raspberries, think I have made a big mistake!

Started by KG_Novice on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 19:11
by Trikidiki
xx
First silly seed mistake of the year.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 20:08
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Pruning raspberries

Started by muddywellies on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 11:13
by muddywellies
xx
Pruning Raspberries

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2016, 15:37
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 38 queries.