Tomatoes in greenhouse, problem?

• 11 Replies

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
Tomatoes in greenhouse, problem?
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:31 »
Hi,

Transferred my tomatoes into the greenhouse about two weeks ago. They are beef tomatoes and hundreds and thousands cherry toms.

One of the four beef toms is looking poorly, I thought there was quite a lot of ant activity in the greenhouse so I sprayed the concrete paving slabs to try and reduce the population in case they were disturbing the roots.

As you can see the toms either side look fine and have been treated in the same way

I have lots of plants still in pots that are awaiting new homes - or the compost :( that are looking healthy and I could just dig it up and replace - should I?

Also something similar is happening with my cherry toms

To be fair they all looked a bit like that when first transplanted as I'd been away on holiday and they'd got a bit dry, I think the one on the top right hand side is recovery albeit slowly.

Final question, the beef toms are cordons and I'm removing the growths in between the stem and the branches, do I do the same with the tumblers? Thanks
Amanda
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:46 by boddy »
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
Re: Tomatoes in greenhouse, problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 19:21 »
anyone?

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 19:35 »
OK, I'm no expert but all my toms in the greenhouse have suffered from "curly" leaves in the past.  I have never been sure what caused it - over or under watering, too much direct sunlight - I have never got to the bottom of it.  However, tom production didn't seem to be affected, so although the plants didn't look too good, they still produced fruit.  I don't know if this is any help, and I'm sure there is somebody out there who knows better than I do.

As for sideshooting, yes you need to do this for your cherry tomatoes (tumblers?) so the growth is concentrated in the fruit.  Later in the summer, take out the top growth about two leaves from the top truss.  I usually let mine develop about five trusses before pinching out the top.

As with all tomatoes they will need plenty of water and regular feeding (I do mine once a week).

Sorry not to be more helpful on your curly leaves  :(

neal

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 20:14 »
Hi.  From looking at the photo's I would say there's a good chance of it being Tomato Mosaic Virus.
If it is that then there is no cure. :(

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 22:41 »
Hi,

Transferred my tomatoes into the greenhouse about two weeks ago. They are beef tomatoes and hundreds and thousands cherry toms.

Final question, the beef toms are cordons and I'm removing the growths in between the stem and the branches, do I do the same with the tumblers? Thanks
Amanda
No. Leave the 100&1000's alone.  Don't pinch out, and leave them be.  They are trailing tomatoes and will produce lots of tiny tomatoes.  You might want to place them up off the ground once they get going though.  Nice tomato.

Headgardener22

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 22:52 »
Cold?

Has the temperature in your greenhouse got too low?

A problem with tomatoes is that almost whatever the problem is the leaves go yellow.

As regards sideshooting your bush tomatoes, I would say no, leave all the growth. Determinate tomatoes do not require sideshooting. The plants may need lifting off the ground to give them space to tumble down.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 22:13 by Headgardener22 »

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:41 »
Quite a few years ago, I looked into this problem of curly leaves on toms and I read that it is due to big variations in temps between day and night. How true it is, I don't know, but it doesn't seem to affect fruiting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 22:23 »
I agree with goosegirl....large fluctuation in temps which you often get at this time of year. My greenhouse toms always get curly leaves at the start of the year but it never seems to do any harm. As for the yellow spots I'd be inclined to go for a deficiency of some sort  although, as mentioned, an awful lot of things seem to make tomato leaves go yellow.

Mosaic virus is usually the least likely problem to affect them although it is certainly serious if you do get it.

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:10 »
Anothe option is aphids. I've already got greenfly in my polytunnel (overwintered on my lettuces) they aren't visible on my tomatoes yet, but just have a look.

barley

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 22:11 »
notice your glass is clear not frosted - might be a touch of sun scorch  ???

al78

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 22:51 »
notice your glass is clear not frosted - might be a touch of sun scorch  ???

It seems odd to me that tomatoes would suffer from sun scorch when grown in the UK given that they have evolved for a warmer climate where the sunlight intensity would be a fair bit higher than what we get here.

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 13:05 »
Sun scorch could be a possibility if tiny water droplets were on the leaves during the day. With green-or white-fly. I always plant a few marigolds or tagetes in my GH and have never had trouble with these, except for one year when I only had one plant.

xx
Help - Problem with my Tomatoes

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 13:41
by mumofstig
xx
Big boy tomatoes... big problem!

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 12:32
by Diddy Gardener
xx
Real Problem With Tomatoes - Advice Please

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 20:26
by Sharonx
xx
greenhouse cucumber problem

Started by Settman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 23:18
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 28 queries.