Starting a wormery

• 4 Replies

Spr0ut

Starting a wormery
« on: May 10, 2014, 23:08 »
This may prove to be a complete waste of time or a fascinating way to add another magical nutrient to the allotment menu.

Has anyone started a worm farm off? How many red-worms did you start out with? I collected about 50 this morning under pots and slates around the garden and will collect a further 100 or so down the allotment tomorrow. Do you think that will be enough to start things off in a small bin about 2x2x3 feet?

Trillium

Re: Starting a wormery
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 23:34 »
I've done some mini farms and plan to make a bigger one this year. There are loads of good videos and articles online, especially the does and don'ts of a healthy wormery.

Normally the larger worms like European nightcrawlers or red wigglers are used because they can quickly plough through compost faster than regular ground worms.  If you want the bigger worms, they're usually available online and will quickly develop a big colony for you. But groundworms will work, just slower because you cannot overfill their area with compost. Too much rotting compost will kill groundworms.

Worm castings (manure) are very rich and should be used sparingly, so there's no need for huge containers of them unless you plan to sell the castings.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 17:02 »
The only thing that puts me off having a wormery is that during a cold winter they need to be moved indoors. Unless a shed or outbuilding would be adequate, it wouldn't be practical for me to do that.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 19:22 »
We have a wormery in our kitchen and it does not smell at all.
It takes all the veg waste throughout the year.
I use red wrigglers bought off flea bay and they breed very well. The casts are super growing fuel and the worm wee is a brilliant liquid fertiliser diluted ten parts water to one part wee.
You can also make a fertiliser tea from the casts.
May the fork be with you

Spr0ut

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 09:56 »
Red wrigglers duly collected from my allotment compost heaps along with some of the compost so they don't feel too estranged in the new abode. Looking forward to some Worm Tea.

xx
wormery

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 10:53
by peanut
xx
Anyone got a wormery??

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 24, 2010, 15:01
by arugula
xx
Has anyone got a wormery?

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 09:14
by upthetump
xx
wormery!

Started by MOLUSC on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 08:53
by MOLUSC

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 27 queries.