Undecided

• 10 Replies

cissie

• Experienced Member
  • Every day in every way....it's just not working.
Undecided
« on: May 07, 2014, 18:47 »
Still mulling over the idea of chickens, i would love to have them but i'm worried about rat's. I live on the end of a terrace block with a 6ft fence all around, and would stand coop and run on slabs.
I'm not keen on rat's myself but my neighbour would make my life a misery if there was a problem, is it inevitable that where there's chickens there's vermin? :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Undecided
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 19:11 »
if you keep your feed in a metal storage bin (I use two old metal dustbins), keep them clean and dispose of their waste responsibly then you will have no more rats than your neighbours. Please remember they say most of us are no more than 20 yards away from a rat.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cissie

• Experienced Member
  • Every day in every way....it's just not working.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 20:05 »
Thank you Joyfull i sometimes think you can research too much and scare yourself :D :D I really do want the girls, and i forgot to add before, i have 4 cat's one a real  hunter. Will the chickens be ok on slabs i plan to put wood chip down on top.Can i ask what breed do you recommend for a first timer, thank's.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 14:53 »
Definitely second what Joyfull says.  Also take feed out at night? You will be advised to use weld mesh - small holes- rather than chicken wire for your run as foxes can chew through it - 6 foot fences will not keep a fox out. light Sussex are good to start with. They are a placid, dual purpose breed, excellent number of eggs. But there also lots of other great options. Go for it. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Silkychicks

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:37 »
On which bread I would advise Silkys to everyone :) Not sure Joyfull would agree :)

They are kind, easy to handle, beautifull, funny, strong, good at self-defence... The only thing is: allthough they can manage in a cold climate, they don't seem te combine very well with rain. My Ad used to go out in any weather where Truus (the cockerel) would stay in but she would be soaked to the bone...

Which ever breed you choose: have fun!

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 11:36 »
I'm in a similar situation to you I live in an end house with the high fences all the way round. My hens live just over half way down the garden in a large enclosed coop and run with the feed is Sat next to it in a large thick plastic dust bin . I had rats once but they nested at the bottom of the garden in my compost bin which I no longer have and getting rid of the compost bin solved that problem. Now I see the odd mouse but they are down at the bottom of the garden so with traps down I'm not that bothered about them. Getting my chickens was the best thing I ever did they can be so comical at times plus you can eat your own eggs which taste a lot better than ones from shop.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:26 »
Will the chickens be ok on slabs i plan to put wood chip down on top.

providing the slabs have no gaps inbetween for a mouse or rat to tunnel up, that would be perfect.  I would recommend putting a good layer of soil and/or sand on top of the slabs which gives the chickens something to scratch (natural behaviour) and even if you provide a sand bath, the girls seem to prefer using the soil in the run.  Also, it will softer on their feet.  As for wood chip (definitely not bark chip) - to be honest, it seemed like a good idea at the time when I was setting up, but I think I could happily not bother in future.  I've seen some people put a deep layer of autumn leaves in the run which they enjoy turning over looking for bugs and treats, and reduces boredom.

BTW another advantage of keeping your own chickens apart from the eggs and entertainment factor, is that they produce a lot of poo which is great for the garden  ;)

grinling

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 14:34 »
go for warrens as loads of eggs and shortish life span 3-4 years. They are also quiet.
Slabs will not stop rats nesting underneath the slabs.
eglu with portable run is useful.
bantams including silkies go broody, so stay clear of them and don't be tempted with exbats.
My 5 are currently loose in the garden as run area is going to be concreted, moles do alot of damage, so their food is currently hanging between a bench and table with a sandpit lid on top to keep dry. no signs of rats, but can trap if need be.
If a rat appears (hole) then come back for advice.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 17:41 »
silkies are lovely but they do tend to go broody at the drop of a hat. Sabelpoots are very friendly too and very pretty. For a beginner though I would suggest blackrocks (make sure you get them from a registered breeder) and bluebelles, both very hardy and good layers plus they are both pretty  :)

grinling

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 19:30 »
I have a bluebell, lovely brown, large eggs.
don't do dual birds.
Grab some books from the library, I have the haines manual

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 22:01 »
I would also recommend an Omlet course - there will be one local to you.  It teaches you so much and you can get all excited about keeping them and ask questions etc. Just £20 for two hours.

Be foxproof and red mite proof - create a lovely spacious run for your girls and you will have the most wonderul time with them  :)
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

xx
So undecided orpys,plymouth,bantams ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 13:53
by Mega

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 37 queries.