Frost tonight

• 38 Replies

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
Frost tonight
« on: May 02, 2014, 13:00 »
Everyone keeps mentioning a frost tonight and now I'm stressing out, where is it forecast for? And would my plants be safer in the unheated greenhouse, poly tunnel or even the shed?  Or would it be worth putting a paraffin heater in the greenhouse?

3759allen

Re: Frost tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 13:42 »
i find the bbc forecast the most reliable for temperatures in local areas.

it's giving 5 and 6 degrees lows in my area so i will just be bringing toms, cucs and peppers in over night.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 14:25 »
Down in Cornwall, the overnight temps are forecast to be 10C, so you don't have a problem. It's us in the central and northern areas with temps of 2-3C forecast that have to look out!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 15:46 »
I've got 5C forecast tonight and am bringing in squashes, beans, cukes and peppers. Am crossing fingers the rest will be able to cope.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 16:05 »
I fear for the runner beans and courgettes that some have already planted out on our site!

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 16:26 »
I fear for the runner beans and courgettes that some have already planted out on our site!

The new guy on the plot next to us planted 4 courgettes and 2 butternuts either last weekend (I did warn him at the time, that it was too early and we're bound to get at least 1 more frost). 2 of the courgettes haven't survived this week's downpours, and another looks on it's last legs. The squashes (so far) appear o.k, but if the predicted frost does arrive, I think they may be done for!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 16:43 »
Both the two I refer to asked me first before planting them out.

Shows how much notice they take of me!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 19:48 by DD. »

Willow_Warren

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 16:51 »
I plan on putting my pots of potatoes into the shed just for overnight!  Otherstuff is pretty much still inside & sheltered!

We are forecast 1°C tonight but at the moment it's still very cloudy, seems surprising to get a frost on such cloudy night but won't take any chances based on my prediction of the weather lol...

Hannah :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 16:59 »
According to the forecasts, the cloud is going to lift from about 8.00 pm in those areas likely to be affected.

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 19:34 »
Thanks all I can breathe a sigh of relief now  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 20:10 »
Mrs Growster and I have just been down to 'The Plot' and 'The Patch' and smothered all the spuds with pegged-down debris netting just now.

It usually works as frost takes several moments to get through, but - hey - they're only spuds and if the odd one gets a clobber, then the others will join in and make hay!

Bumner for the courgettes or squash which people have out in the open though! I'd try it if I could protect them, but they're babes still..;0)

Spr0ut

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 20:34 »
- would it be enough to cover sensitive plants with fleece or straw until the frost is passed or is it going to be harder than that? Thankful I'm in Cornwall.

barley

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 20:42 »
all my delicates are tucked up in a cordoned off part of greenhouse with the frost setting set on the thermostat heater

they'll probably be warmer than me as we have storage heating indoors and they are not charged  :wacko:

bed socks and winter woolys for me tonight  :lol:

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 21:14 »
Down in Cornwall, the overnight temps are forecast to be 10C, so you don't have a problem. It's us in the central and northern areas with temps of 2-3C forecast that have to look out!

For a change, some good news from the north.  Admittedly we are right beside the see on the west coast of Scotland, so we tend not to get frost in any case, but the lowest forecast temp for tonight is 7 degrees.  I will be leaving everything to fend for itself - not often we can say that up here!  Good luck in the south!

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 21:30 »
The only things I've covered with fleece is my Kiwi vines after they nearly got clobbered in the last frost and are currently trying to flower. They have been wrapped to within an inch of their lives in both bubble wrap and fleece, let the frost try and get through that!  :lol:

They'll be released from their toasty prison cells early tomorrow morning to enjoy the lovely sunshine that's been forecast :)

xx
Frost tonight!!! -2C?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 16:08
by mumofstig
xx
Frost tonight.

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 17:21
by mumofstig
xx
GROUND FROST RISK TONIGHT !!!!!!

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 12:24
by DD.
xx
Frost tonight - cover up your vegetables

Started by James on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2006, 20:51
by James

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 29 queries.