Foliar feed for struggling tomatoes

• 8 Replies

Spr0ut

Foliar feed for struggling tomatoes
« on: April 30, 2014, 13:07 »
I made the mistake of going to visit family out of county and had no choice but to leave my tomatoes out in the mini-polytunnel with the front open and sitting in saucers of water - I know, not ideal, next year I will start them later after the compulsory family rounds.

Now the my early toms are struggling - browned off leaves, purple looking leaves but the new leaves are looking rich and green and I think they are going to pick up.

The pots are still well watered and the struggling plants are not taking up so much water, but I think they could benefit from a weak feed. My question: can I expect my plants to benefit from a weak multi-purpose foliar feed administered by a fine mister? Or should I choose a tomato feed? It's foliar growth I'm trying to encourage at this stage.

Headgardener22

Re: Foliar feed for struggling tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 13:56 »
At the moment I would just use a weak solution of ordinary nitrogen fertiliser. Tomato fertiliser is intended to encourage fruiting and not encouraging growth.

But don't make it too strong or the plants will not absorb it properly.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 14:33 »
Received wisdon is that you use one type of fertiliser for growth (N) and another for fruiting (K). But my chilli food suggests just increasing the dose for fruitng:

For young plants or seedlings mix 5ml per litre of clean water once a week or more frequently if plants look pale. The vegetative stage of growth varies from plant to plant depending on species, cultivar and cultural techniques. The dose of 5ml per litre of water should be maintained until the first sign of blossom. After the onset of flowering increase dose to 10ml per litre of water and supply to plants weekly

Obviously they want you to use their fertilizer. But I guess any feed is better than no feed.
Never stop learning

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 15:05 »
Some tomato fertilizer / food advises against getting it on the leaves, but I know Phostrogen can be used for both normal feeding as well as foliar feeding.

Probably best to give 1/2 strength at the moment

Spr0ut

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 15:28 »
Many thanks. I'll use a half strength (N) foliar spray as I can't water the pots yet.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 17:55 »
I think most of us have experienced this sort of scenario. Just do the best you can, but as a belt and braces measure, make a fresh sowing. It's not too late and if plan A fails you have a backup.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 11:41 »
I've used Maxicrop general liquid feed watered in when needed as a boost, but as a foliar spray which it says you can do as a pick-me-up. If you mist over, then it won't run off the leaves nor will it make the compost even more wet.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 20:11 »
I use a foliar feed on my tomatoes the first feed is just after pricking out and then as instructed, I have had no problems with it and always get a good crop. 
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 07:18 »
I find that a foliar feed of home-made comfrey tea works well on just about everything:) 
Now what shall I do today?

xx
Which foliar feed?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2019, 17:59
by Growster...
xx
Chempak Foliar Feed

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:32
by fatcat1955
xx
Can seaweed foliar feed finish them off?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 16:37
by mumofstig
xx
Seaweed foliar feed or root drench

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 13:30
by Yana

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 28 queries.