new chickens

• 3 Replies

alexroyall85

new chickens
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:43 »
Hi all

I am looking to get some chickens to put on a spare piece of land at the allotment.

At the moment due to my first child on the way I have limited funds so am looking to find a combined hen house and run for 3-6 chickens as cheaply as possible.

If anybody knows of any good websites or dealers it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Alex

hen addict

Re: new chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:27 »
Have you considered a shed? Try the local shed company's as the guy I had my new shed from gives away the old ones he takes down. they are free to collect as it is cheaper to give them away, than pay the local tip people as they charge businesses for disposal! They are very popular with people who have allotments and chickens. With a bit of DIY you can make a very good sound coop. The biggest cost out lay would be for some quality Fox proof weld mesh for the run. Personally I would not economize on this as allotments attract Fox's like you would not believe, and being greated with the carnage after an attack is devestating.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:51 »
please also remember that as your hens wont be free ranging they will need need about 3 square metres of clear run space per bird (this doesn't include the hen house), this along with having branches for them to perch on, food such as cabbage or corn on the cobs hanging down will help relieve boredom  etc.
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 15:21 »
check with your allotment about rules about keeping hens. Mine restricted the amount. Think about time for visiting them 2 times a day, more in winter...disposal of straw, rat and fox protection and costs involved.
Cost up underground protection from rats/foxes/house/run/metal bin for food storage/food costs/feeders/price of hens. Initial outlay could be £500 plus. would you need 4 eggs a day? factor in driving costs if applicable.

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
HELP! new to chickens!

Started by nicnac on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 08:28
by beulah59

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 37 queries.