Advance advisory of poor gardening weather

• 38 Replies

beesrus

Re: Advance advisory of poor gardening weather
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 15:37 »
I can't speak for far more Northern climes, but down here, a May frost is always an overnight thing, short lived and not very hard at all. A consecutive night or two at at most in any year. Anyone who wants to protect vulnerable plants, can do so with a bit of effort.

There are alternatives to heated environments. Well insulated cold frames and greenhouses ( particularly twin wall polycarbonate ) cope very well with a careful eye on the weather. Anyone can cobble together an insulated cold frame and put their vulnerable plants in it at the appropriate times. Double up the cover overnight if necessary ... can use anything, even a supported tarp over a cold frame, no light lost at night.
Far better to sow in plenty of time, rather than sowing too late and missing the harvest due to an as yet unknown Summer. And certainly better than buying in hugely expensive garden centre plants.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 16:10 »

On my seed packet it says the following:

"All squash need WARMTH to sprout! Germination temp: 23C minimum."

Is it possible to provide these conditions without artificial heating and still be left with enough growing season to produce a crop?

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Veg-A-to-Z/Marrow,-courgette,-squash-and-pumpkin-%281%29

Totty

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 17:39 »
It's easy to keep things frost free, agreed. It's not easy to create a warm atmosphere for plant such as tomatoes etc, that need more than just protection from frost, and certainly not warm enough in a cold frame, weather it's double lined or not.
Not sure how effective a piece of fleece thrown over plants that have already been planted out in greenhouse borders will be this weekend. Insulating, however well done can still only help to contain whatever temp it already is.
If you have vulnerable plants such as squashes, tomatoes, chillies etc, I would strongly recommend not putting them in anything that's not heated if the forecasts for heavy frost come true. No matter how much fleece you have.

Totty

richie3846

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 21:16 »
I have found through trial and error (rather than listening to others wiser than me!), that stress free gardening can be enjoyed in mid and southern areas, if the quick growing tenders such as courgette and runners are direct sown on the third week of May. Every single attempt at planting earlier has failed miserably. Even if you start off indoors you still have to muck about hardening off in the strong sunshine. Sow on the 20th May and you will have strong healthy crops.

Last year, I tried starting off courgette indoors. I tried hardening them off and the blighters got sunburn and died  :(

al78

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 23:51 »
I have found through trial and error (rather than listening to others wiser than me!), that stress free gardening can be enjoyed in mid and southern areas, if the quick growing tenders such as courgette and runners are direct sown on the third week of May. Every single attempt at planting earlier has failed miserably. Even if you start off indoors you still have to muck about hardening off in the strong sunshine. Sow on the 20th May and you will have strong healthy crops.

Last year, I tried starting off courgette indoors. I tried hardening them off and the blighters got sunburn and died  :(

Every single attempt to sow beans direct outdoors has failed for me. They just don't come up at all. That is the main reason why I start indoors

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 08:23 »
If you are finding beans just don't come up for you, I would suspect mice are eating the seeds al78.  There is nothing wrong with starting stuff inside.  I do lots of seeds that way as well  :)

It the timing and hardening off process that can be tricky.  As people have said, sowing too early can leave you with plants that are too far advanced for the growing conditions you can offer them.  Unheated greenhouses and cold frames offer some protection and are a great halfway house in the transition from inside to outside, but they have their limits  :)

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 08:33 »
My toms, chillies, aubergine and courgettes have been holidaying in the greenhouse (non heated) for the last two weeks ... Come Friday its a trip back and forth bringing them all in before the cold snap ... Its just not worth the risk. Pots will be earthed and covered with fleece.
question beans slowly germinating not quite through the soil in their pots... Will they be ok or shall they come in too? Current in a mini greenhouse in the greenhouse ...
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15 »
I've got a similar dilemma ally.  The cucamelons planted in a big pot in the greenhouse will get well fleeced, but the spare will come back in.  My peppers and toms are still inside and will stay there, but no room for the beans  :(

They will go in the mini greenhouse in the greenhouse and be well fleeced.  There's time to re-sow, so if the worst happens, that's what I will do  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 09:26 »
Just as I go on holiday   :ohmy: Typical!

Everything has 2 choices........... it'll just have to be  a trip to the garden centre if they make the wrong one  ::)  :dry:  :(

xx
poor weather

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 18:03
by Yorkie
xx
cold weather for my poor spud seeds

Started by spudlover on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 11:19
by maxie
xx
Advance planning: flea beetle control on aubergines?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2023, 23:00
by Subversive_plot
clip
poor, very poor

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 09:55
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 37 queries.