What do I need?

• 13 Replies

Marie105

What do I need?
« on: April 26, 2014, 17:04 »
I hope this is the right place to post. Just wondering what I'm going to need for my allotment? I don't have a garden so have nothing whatsoever at the minute. Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 18:18 »
Hi Marie

It's a bit confusing  :wacko: - this board is for bigger equipment, and the Equipment Shed is for allotment sized stuff, so I'll move you over there  :D

I would prioritise a fork (go for a border / ladies' fork if you're at all on the petite size), hand fork and trowel, hoe and comfortable gloves for starters.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Marie105

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 18:40 »
Oh typical it took me ten minutes to decide where to post it haha. Thanks, I think I may need a list...

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 19:00 »
go for a border / ladies' fork if you're at all on the petite size

Oi - that's all I use, what are you implying Yorkie ? :nowink:

You'll also need a spade,  and I find a dirt cheap 10" kitchen knife really handy. I weed with it, prune with it, harvest with it and cut up slugs with it.  ::) a pair of secateurs are always useful too (cheap and cheerful will do to start with)

Depending on the state of your soil / plot you many never need anything else - but it you're taking over a jungle full of of 5' nettles and brambles you may need something more beefy.

Marie105

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 19:27 »
Well I won't be cutting up any slugs :s lol. I will know what kind of state it's in tomorrow. Looking forward to going down in the morning

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 20:03 »
Fork
Dutch Hoe http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-tools-equipment/garden-hand-tools/rakes___hoes/-specificproducttype-hoes/B-and-Q-Value-Dutch-Hoe-9410999 - wouldn't necessarily recommend that one but to show you what one is :)
Spade
Trowel
Rubber Trug (Wilko, £5)

That lot should get you going :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 21:21 »
go for a border / ladies' fork if you're at all on the petite size

Oi - that's all I use, what are you implying Yorkie ? :nowink:

You'll also need a spade,  and I find a dirt cheap 10" kitchen knife really handy. I weed with it, prune with it, harvest with it and cut up slugs with it.  ::) a pair of secateurs are always useful too (cheap and cheerful will do to start with)

Depending on the state of your soil / plot you many never need anything else - but it you're taking over a jungle full of of 5' nettles and brambles you may need something more beefy.

Moi?  Implying nothing, me  ::) :lol:

Secateurs, of course - yes.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:01 »
The things I couldn't be without are a spade, fork, hand fork, secateurs, good gloves and a 3-pronged cultivator for speedy weeding - I have a hoe but don't find it easy to use, and I rarely use the trowel.

And some of the twist&tie garden wire is really handy - £land do a set of 3 for £1 that should see you with enough for a while.

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 15:07 »
You sound in a very similar situation I was when I was given my first allotment. I also did't have a garden and had nothing when I started. To start with I would recommend getting:

Fork and spade. I usually dig with a fork as it doesn't chop up bindweed and couch grass roots like a spade. My new plot was matted with it but saying that a spade is needed to dig out brambles, planting fruit trees etc. Make sure they feel comfortable when buying them (I looked rather silly when choosing mine as 'air digging' isn't really fashionable) but you will be using these whilst digging over your entire plot and comfort is required, not a bad back and blisters!

Twine and bamboo/wood sticks: to mark out things such as paths, plot boundaries etc.

Trug or a large plastic bucket to throw all of the weeds and rubble into. I find filling a 75L trug with weeds a manageable weight for a woman to carry up the plot to the compost pile.

Hoe: Once you've dug your plot over this is indispensable to stop the weeds from growing back.

All the rest can wait. You'll be pleased to hear that in 2 years I have managed to fill 2 sheds with bits and pieces that I use.

Good luck with your new plot  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 15:38 »
If you're serious about gardening, don't waste your money on cheapo stuff. Go to car boot sales and similar places to see if you can pick up old gardening tools. My suggestions are: a small (lady's) spade and fork, hand fork and trowel, hoe (just sharpen its cutting edge before use), and a rake, plus plastic buckets for weeds. Your local council may provide free or cheap compost bins so make some enquiries. Just keep it simple for now, then add what you feel you need later on.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grendel

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 18:16 »
most of my best tools have been old ones from boot fairs, some have needed new handles, but the old steel is certainly better quality.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

archibtbm

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 20:08 »
what I'm going to need for my allotment?

Border fork is easier when digging over as the amont of earth turned is smaller. Rake for getting the lumps to a tilth,  hoe for keeping the weeds down plus it stops a crust forming which lets water run off........oh, and patience with a good helping of blood sweat and tears :)

Marie105

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 21:11 »
Thanks everyone :)

Jackypam

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 21:42 »
And an old Tupperware type box to keep your seed packets in ( or a quality street type plastic or tin box)

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 37 queries.