Can I sow seeds in well rotted manure?

• 7 Replies

elsiepumpkin

Can I sow seeds in well rotted manure?
« on: April 21, 2014, 20:37 »
I've run out of seed compost and multipurpose compost.  I could buy some more but I'm a bit of a cheapskate. What I have got a lot of down the plot is well rotted manure mixed with mushroom compost. It's crumbly and sweet smelling and has very little straw in it. Can I use it in my seed trays in the polytunnel? I've heard you can't but is that just because fresh manure would be too strong for seedlings? This stuff is really well rotted.

snowdrops

Re: Can I sow seeds in well rotted manure?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 20:44 »
It will be too strong. Seeds just need a medium to germinate in, seed compost has less nutrients in it compared to other composts.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

elsiepumpkin

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:31 »
So how does it work with sowing directly outside in to ground that has had well rotted manure or compost put on it? Is that a no no too? Just to re-iterate I'm not talking fresh manure.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52 »
manure on the surface can be pushed aside for seed sowing, and then moved back when the plants are a fair size.

If the manure has been dug in then the effect is diluted.

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 17:55 »
I think it will do just fine. If it's sweet smelling and crumbly then it is clearly well rotted and will have low nutrient levels as these are likely to have been washed out. Fine for seeds, but for potting on you will probably need to add some fertiliser.

bigben

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 19:22 »
I guess it will depend on what you are planning to grow - it might be ok for squash or other heavy feeders. I have at times resorted to half filling larger or deeper pots with my own garden compost and just topping it off with a little multipurpose if I am running short. I have done this for spuds in pots, squash/pumpkins, beans and leeks in deep trays. I would not do it for expensive F1 hybrid seeds.

My understanding is that mushroom compost is alkaline so this might have an impact. As Nobbie suggests the manure may well have had nutrients washed out so might not be too bad. You could sow a few and see how it goes.

elsiepumpkin

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 17:28 »
I sowed a few seeds in seed trays of the manure to try out - various things, cornflowers, marigolds, sweet peas, beetroot to transplant and sweetcorn. Everything came up just fine and is looking very healthy. I must say I can't see any difference at the moment between sowing in this medium and multipurpose compost. Everything looks happy to me. Maybe it's just fresh manure that is the issue.

al78

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 19:18 »
I sowed carrot seeds recently in a raised bed which was filled last year with very well rotted manure (had the consistency of top soil) and had courgettes and squash in it. The carrot seeds have germinated with no noticeable difference to those seeds sown direct outdoors.

xx
well rotted poultry manure or well rotted horse manure?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 10:26
by rachelsco
xx
Well rotted manure

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2006, 20:32
by shaun
xx
Rotted manure

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 19, 2015, 14:55
by m1ckz
xx
Using not so well rotted manure?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 12:14
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 38 queries.