Broody hen

• 7 Replies

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
Broody hen
« on: April 21, 2014, 14:17 »
I have a very broody chook. At present I am physically removing her from the nest box and closing the coop door. I have been removing the others eggs once they've laid. I want to break the cycle . She started to go broody on Wednesday. I haven't got a rabbit cage to put her in and am not sure about dunking her in cold water.

Should I carry on? Is there anything else I could do?
Keep calm & talk to chickens :)

Redgoat

Re: Broody hen
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 16:07 »
I have a very broody Wyandotte at the moment. Her longest broody spell so far was 3 weeks.

When I have used the cage it usually breaks them in 3 days. Never tried the water dunking method as the mrs wont let me. I usually just do as you do and kick her out of the nest box (not literally!) and shut her out. It usually takes about a week for the spell to be broken.

Sorry I can't suggest anything else but I guess it's just part of keeping hens.

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 17:01 »
Thank you. It's so sad because she is so desperate to get in! She keeps walking around the hen house, jumping on it etc :(

ratherangelic

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 22:32 »
We had a broody hen recently and just removing her off the nest wasn't enough.  My husband gave her a cold shower with a watering can after removing her from the nest and then put bricks in the nest so she couldn't sit but could shelter if it was raining.  It seemed to do the trick.  Just under a week later she is laying again

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:03 »
You may find this helpful: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=71657.0

To de-broody your hen you need to cool her down, which is why a wire cage suspended off the ground is ideal as it allows airflow to the abdomen.

If you haven't got a cage, then I would remove her from the coop, and once the other hens have laid, close the coop up, so she can't reach the nesting boxes.  You have to be a bit watchful incase she decides to nest elsewhere in the run/garden, but this early in the year, the ground is still cool enough to discourage sitting.

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:37 »
Thank you. We're 9days in & she's still broody! Have been collecting the others eggs & shutting the coop completely! Am thinking about dunking her in some cool water tomorrow. Fingers crossed she snaps out of it soon?

barley

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:38 »
I have just got a broody one started yesterday  ::)

I can break her out of it in 3-4 days with the method below ( works every time for me )

I separate a section of run so she can't gain access to hen house or nest boxes , put a branch or something for her to perch on , that will give air flow round underside

then at night you really need a cage with a similar set up - I use a folding dog cage with a suspended branch across it ( it locks safely to protect her from predators but she is still in a locked garage )

she can free range during daytime with others but keep coop closed and only allow an egg laying hen in

as long as you follow these steps to the rule it will work - key to success is no access day and night to nest boxes

mine will be broody free by sunday ( guaranteed ) 

barley

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 20:41 »
as predicted  :D

started Broody behaviour Thursday - back on the perch tonight

3 days of the above advice and its broken the cycle - good luck with yours  ;)

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 37 queries.