cooking your own birds

• 27 Replies

pushrod

cooking your own birds
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 01:12 »
Major coincidence there as i am fairly regularly in Spilsby  :shock:
Would be very grateful if it is possible for you to PM me or post details.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

pushrod

cooking your own birds
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 02:03 »
UPDATE for those who are interested.

Bought 16 day old ja757's from spilsby but the farmer gave me "two spares" as he put it, at the end of February. Started them off in a big old incubator and slowly dropped the temp to about 25C then moved them out into a small wooden hen house and run that i made which was heated with two 60 watt spotlights. they stayed inside for about 3 weeks altogether then started moving outside. At about 4 weeks i moved them to a hen house behind electric netting. The first two nights were fun  :roll:  trying to get them to go into the house. There was also the day i forgot to switch the fence on and they just walked through it and i found them all over the top of the garden. Fortunately the fence has trained the fox so well that from being a daily visitor he never even comes into the garden anymore. I had one fatality at about 7 days and another one at about 8 weeks but all the rest seem/seemed relatively healthy. I dispatched a pair at 10 weeks for the barbeque, then another four for the freezer and then yesterday one more for dinner today. Leaving nine still running around - actually that's not quite true - they are the laziest birds you could ever meet. They eat and sit down, drink and sit down, walk five paces and sit down sometimes they even shuffle about rather than stand  :shock:
They eat and drink so much that they were getting through 3 gallons of water a day and a huge feeder of growers pellets and when i replaced it they would always do a fantastic impression of a rugby scrum.
Anyway they have plenty of meat and are very tender, but i must admit the plucking gets me down as it takes so long.

Foxy

cooking your own birds
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 10:48 »
brilliant update pushrod thank you for the info.
Interested in how you despatched them? was it difficult?

I am thinking of crossing favs with sussex supposed to produce a fine meat bird. One of my big favs has as much meat on his thighs as you would buy in a supermarket from those measly breast fillets there again probably tough as old boots!!! :?

No guys before anyone asks Bigfoot is not going in the pot!!

pushrod

cooking your own birds
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 13:06 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
brilliant update pushrod thank you for the info.
Interested in how you despatched them? was it difficult?

!!

I use a traffic cone with the pointy end cut off, supported in a kiddies playframe. I take the bird in the dark from the hen house and they are always very calm. I hold it by the legs just as i pop it into the cone, headfirst. They never struggle or flap when they are in the cone - they seem to have security from the all-round contact. The head and neck protrude through the bottom of the cone (i put it in so that it is facing away from me, but the darkness means i don't think they can see much any way). I then use a pair of old branch loppers that have C shaped blade that catches the neck. It completely crushes the neck and cuts much of the tissues as well so it bleeds but the head never completely comes off. As i release the loppers the bird will then kick for maybe 10 seconds or so through reflexes, but it is already completely dead.
I am happy that it is as humane and unstressful as it could be and they are dead within a minute of me picking them up, plus my birds are use to being handled so that does not stress them either.
I have despatched birds before by manually breaking there necks but with big birds you need quite a lot of strength and even with small birds i am never quite sure when the deed is done.

NormandyMary

cooking your own birds
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 15:45 »
I think you're very brave pushrod. I wish I had the guts to do it. I hate having to rely on my neighbour to dispatch any poorly chooks for me. Not that he minds, but you know what I mean.

pushrod

cooking your own birds
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 13:51 »
Quote from: "NormandyMary"
I think you're very brave pushrod. I wish I had the guts to do it. I hate having to rely on my neighbour to dispatch any poorly chooks for me. Not that he minds, but you know what I mean.

I seriously suggest that you have a go yourself. I reckon if you plan it carefully it will be more stressful for you than the birds, but that will pass after the first couple of times. I don't enjoy it by any means but neither do i dread it and there is a certain amount of honesty (not sure if that is the word i'm looking for) in doing it all yourself.

Wildeone

cooking your own birds
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 06:43 »
I think 'honesty' is the perfect word!

Good on you . . . . . but i couldn't look my dinner in the eye!  :roll:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

Bodger

cooking your own birds
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 07:03 »
What people have to remember is that the chickens you buy from supermarkets are a matter of weeks old rather than months old. So your home produced bird of five or six months old is going to be a little tougher in comparison but much tastier.

agapanthus

cooking your own birds
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 09:32 »
For those who wish to roast older birds, try Karl's method........place bird (ready seasoned...whatever you like...stuff with herbs, garlic and lemon...or whatever takes your fancy) in a tin, sitting on a couple of long layers of foil.....wrap chook up in remaining foil and SLOW roast for 3- 4 hours...about 125-150 c. For the last 20 mins take foil off. Allow to rest for 20-30 mins and you should have a lovely moist bird. :)  (I like to add a bit of white wine to the chook before wrapping) ;)

moboma

cooking your own birds
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 10:01 »
I have been told (By The Boss) Our girls have to have a retirement plot in our garden.

Can see it now bev running round after the old ones catering to there every need.

We got them just for the eggs now they Own the garden.

Even the dog has been chased out.

The thought of putting them in a pot would be like eating my granny.

Sounds sad I know but if it is in a polly tray and cling film it is fair game.

Can see it now Bev will be opening a retirement home for our feathered friends.

Wonder if the EU will give funding
If you hear a loud noise in my garden it must be Robo chicken

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
cooking your own birds
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 11:06 »
i threatend to eat my  roosters a few years back as i hatched loads in one go  had someone willing to dispatch and pluck them for me in return for  a few fresh eggs but the kids wouldnt let me.... in the end i sold 1 and kept the rest.
have always faniced rearing meat birds but get too attatched to my chooks and anyway im veggie so kids n Oh would eat them.... OH likes the idea kids dont..

pushrod

cooking your own birds
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 14:45 »
i reckon if you hatch eggs you might as well eat the cocks as you 're lucky to get £1 each when you sell them and at least you are in control when you cull them. Overhearing people at market some people just give cockerels live to their dogs  :shock:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
cooking your own birds
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 21:29 »
OMG you are joking that is way cruel

xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
how long before cooking

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 19:34
by rachelr
xx
plucking, drawing and cooking ross cobb poultry

Started by Mary Clark on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 09:52
by hookfarmchickens
xx
Odd Birds.

Started by min200 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 08:46
by beulah59

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 36 queries.