Can I get beans, courgettes, cucumber started yet NE England

• 15 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
This is my first allotment year so I am keen to get going.

I have grown tomatoes in my back garden greenhouse for many years, so they are 'under control' ready for planting in the unheated GH during the first week of June.

I think 1st June is the last date for frosts where I live, so I am wondering whether I can start a few crops now indoors, or is it still too early.

Courgettes, French beans, Runner beans will obviously eventually end up outside, on the 'lottie'

The cucumber will end up in the unheated GH

Any advice would be appreciated. I suppose if I knew the rough time between sewing and planting I could work backwards, as I do with tomatoes (roughly 8 weeks)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Can I get beans, courgettes, cucumber started yet NE England
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 13:33 »
I haven't started mine yet, but I know some people who have. 
It depends on how much space you have to keep the bigger plants going until the weather warms up.  I got caught last year with the late spring and a g/house full of huge sprawly cucurbits. Runner beans will be a bit tougher, but french beans might need a bit longer inside.  I've only got a small g/house so I have to be careful.
Anne

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 14:04 »
I'm in the North-West on the coast, but the last couple of nights the temps have really dropped and we had a light frost on Thurs night. I have dwarf French beans coming up in the GH border, plus two climbing ones in pots. I thought I had probably lost them but they seem fine, though may have had a little set-back.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 15:01 »
I'd wait another couple of weeks before sowing  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 15:33 »
Last frost dates are an estimate based on long-term averages, and if you're like me you will have lost some of your confidence in such statistics in recent years!  :unsure:

It's not just frost either - although frost will kill them outright the crops you mention don't take kindly to temperatures much below around 10C at any time, although it partly depends how much less, and for how long, they have to put up with it.

The 3 you mention (plus sweet corn) are all quite quick germinators, so based on warm indoor conditions if you reckon on a week to germinate, a week to grow a little, and a week to harden off you can work backwards from the time you hope to be able to plant out, although of course you can prolong the last 2 phases if necessary.

For me it means sowing in 1-2 weeks time from now.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 16:13 »
All ours are sown and growing nicely in the greenhouse.

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 16:30 »
I'd wait another couple of weeks before sowing  ;)

Yep !  think I'll wait a couple of weeks.

Thank you for all the comments  :D

gobs

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 19:10 »
I started some cukes but the rest I won't go near for a while, especially beans. The only reason I am not sowing them direct is that something eats them on this plot.

There is no bigger nightmare than trying to separate intertwined bean stalks... This can happen in a week.

So, corn about 4-5 weeks, beans about a couple of weeks, courgettes about 3-4 weeks before planting out.

Cucumber can wait yet, too. I just re-potted mine from 10 cm pots at 2 true leaves stage, roots were growing out of the pots already.

"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 20:18 »
I started some cukes but the rest I won't go near for a while, especially beans. The only reason I am not sowing them direct is that something eats them on this plot.

There is no bigger nightmare than trying to separate intertwined bean stalks... This can happen in a week.

So, corn about 4-5 weeks, beans about a couple of weeks, courgettes about 3-4 weeks before planting out.

Cucumber can wait yet, too. I just re-potted mine from 10 cm pots at 2 true leaves stage, roots were growing out of the pots already.

Oh yes ......  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Christine

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 11:12 »
wbmkk I'm not so many miles from you. I start courgettes, pattypan squash and marrows about now to get a good root on at home on sunny window ledges and then harden off in the back garden. Would think that second week of May is about suitable for out to the allotment (but mine is sheltered and sunny).

Runner and French beans I start off in pots on the allotment end of first week in May. Haven't had any problems for the last seven years doing it that way. Dwarf beans are a slightly later crop - like end of May - according to the instructions on my packet.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 17:47 »
I'll be starting mine in the next week or so.

Steveharford

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 18:21 »
I've just put some courgette and marrow seeds in damp kitchen towel in poly bags in the propogator as I have just read my diary and I started them off in pots this time last year and did well. Never tried this chitting method before though so it will be interesting to see how it goes.     Last year I also sowed runner beans about now. Might be worth chitting them too?

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 18:27 »
My cucumbers are already in the greenhouse and about 12" high. Debris netting covers at night.

As most have said beans, courgettes etc can wait a few weeks yet.

Cudders

riggers24

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 19:12 »
Hi wbmkk,

I am Earsdon and I tried three courgettesplants I had started in my cold frame and put them out in the garden for a few nights Once I had planted last weekend the cold nights came and I have lost them.

I'll wait until May to plant the rest out

Marc

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 05:12 »
Its been quite mild although it has been dropping off cold at nights I have sown my butternut, courgette, cucumber, french and runner beans all at the beginning of this month in a cheap plastic greenhouse temperatures have dropped to around 0 but they have all been fine runners and french beans are about 6 inches high and looking good and courgettes are about 4 inches high and looking healthy to.

Though I am a lot further south!

Good luck

xx
Cucumber & Courgettes - never grown them before!

Started by graces-chickens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 21:30
by graces-chickens
xx
What can I grow in between pumpkins, squash, courgettes and cucumber?

Started by Teen76 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 10:42
by chimaera
xx
Courgettes and ridge cucumber - bumper manure haul

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 18:57
by gobs
xx
Whos started their runner beans

Started by richy on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 13:02
by starry

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 38 queries.