HFW Episode 1

• 74 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
HFW Episode 1
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 23:32 »
Hugh refused to advertise for Tesco, unlike Jamie with Sainsbury's!!!!

and yes, he makes money out of it, but if it does heighten people's awareness of the problem then good luck to him!

gobs

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 23:33 »
sorry, saying anything again
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

babe

• elvis king of chooks
HFW Episode 1
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 23:33 »
sainsburys have commited to phase out all battery eggs and broiler chickens. which is a good start

Selkie

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 23:34 »
Gobs, please don't go off in a huff.

mashauk

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 23:35 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
Peter said he'll tape it for me tonight; I know that kind of thing is so upsetting to see but I will watch it anyway, I think we should know what happens in the world - whether you eat chicken etc or not.

I've personally seen enough of these sorts of videos to give me nightmares, lots of undercover stuff, really gross.  I won't be watching this, but I hope the right people watch it and that they're not preaching to the converted, it would be awesome if this and all the other programmes about cruelty (funny how they come in clusters!) changed things permanently for the better, and customers started refusing to buy cheap factory farmed meat (it's not just chickens is it?) so voted with their wallets, then and only then (IMO) will the supermarkets do something about it, and even then I'm cynical about how free-range the chickens will be.  I don't know if it's true but I heard there's 2 inspectors worldwide to check that your tuna is really "dolphin friendly"

mashauk

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 23:37 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Sorry to come across as a spoil joy, but HFW does not have any other thing to do with this, probably, than making money. Of a film that's gonna attract some audience.

Bit like Jamie then, ooh there's a new bandwagon I can jump on, sorry but that's the way I feel, his cookery/garden show makes me laugh, I bet he's never done a days work in it (that's if it's even his house), sorry I'm an old cynic, I'll shut up now :lol:

Selkie

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 23:52 »
I think I must be alot less cynical than yourself and Gobs; I think that's a good thing :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
HFW Episode 1
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 23:59 »
Come on Gobs, we are only expressing our opinions, just like you and Masha, we don't always have to agree on everything.  In this country sometimes we just agree to disagree, if you see what I mean?????

SMILE!!!!      :D

sweet nasturtium

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 01:10 »
I thought I'd see a discussion on Kill it Cook it Eat it tonight - that's just the most bizarre programme.  I didn't watch it though cos I was eating my dinner (free range omelette!).

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
HFW Episode 1
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 08:04 »
hi

couldnt believe how they just tossed the little babies out of the boxes, we just looked at each in disbelieve no wonder they end up with broken and damaged legs, why cant they put a container with a door and leave it open so they walk out so as not to be tossed around like tennis ball :evil:

I agree with what hugh is trying to do and make people aware but the fact is that its all about money at the end of the day and like the film showed why would single parent families pay £6 for a freerange as opposed to £5 for 2 chickens, I wonder how many of them will go back to buying battery when the programme has finished. unless the supermarkets (good on sainsburys least its a start) throw their weight behind this and start forcing the suppliers to change their practices then I dont think things will change (money and profit margin at the end of the day)

on the news the other morning they had a discussion about battery farmed meat birds one woman against it and one man for it, he basically in a nut shell said I dont care where it has come from its a food source and we musnt forget that they are not pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  big heated discussion was on the cards but they ran out of time, he made me abit mad, he said he was an animal lover but he drew the line at animals for food that it what they were bred for :!:  :!:
pauline

Selkie

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 09:36 »
:!:  As already mentioned on these pages Waitrose are also good for free range eggs and poultry :!:

milliebecks

• Experienced Member
HFW Episode 1
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 09:44 »
I was a bit disappointed by the programme last night.  
I've always been a fan of HFW, but I thought he came across as rather self-indulgent and smug.  The prog was less about the suffering of the chooks and more about the struggle of poor, over-stressed Hugh.  Perhaps the balance will change tonight, but I suspect the only people who will come back for more are the already converted. :?

Selkie

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 09:48 »
I must admit I've never seen a HFW programme, though one of my brother in laws is a massive fan.

hermon

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 10:02 »
i didn't see it but i'm glad these sort of programmes are on people need to know but as already stated the people that don't care won't watch it so they will never change! :twisted:

mashauk

HFW Episode 1
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 10:17 »
Quote from: "babe"
sainsburys have commited to phase out all battery eggs and broiler chickens. which is a good start

I could be wrong here, but isn't chicken battery farming becoming illegal anyway in a few years, if so they're hardly heroes.  I'm sure (somewhere in this fuzzy head) I read that they'll get an extra few inches, but won't be free range (big deal).  Surely true free range would be possible in a commercial environment?  The most free range chook I've ever seen was the one who terrorised me and chased me down the road in Greece, it was massive and very scary :lol:

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.