Can I use tap water in the garden ?

• 3 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Can I use tap water in the garden ?
« on: April 17, 2014, 18:59 »
I got two water butts for my new allotment, but as I don't have the glass fitted to the greenhouse yet, I decided to fill them in the meantime with tap water.

My neighbour on the plot (probably in his 30th year on the allotment) said I shouldn't be using tap water ... he would only use it in a rear emergency.

He reckons there are too many chemicals which aren't good for the crops. He also said that the soil gets hardened if 'that water' is used ... ie a crust forms on the soil.

I think he was serious .... but is he correct ?

I know tap water is cold, so it should be left to get warmer before drenching all the plants .... but surely if it's good enough for us to drink, it should be OK for a few plants  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I use tap water in the garden ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 19:23 »
The chlorine in tap water isn't very good for plants, but most of it evaporates after a day or so.

Your tap water may be very hard, very soft, or more likely somewhere in between, but it's extremely unlikely to form a crust on the soil whatever sort it is. Repeated watering with 'hard' water may increase the pH, which is not desirable for ericaceous plants, but for everything else it's a drink, without which they would otherwise die in drought conditions.

Watering warm plants with very cold water isn't likely to make them jump for joy, but if stored in butts it's absolutely fine unless you are trying to water straight after a particularly cold night.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 19:32 »
As the water stands in the butt til you need it, it looses it's chlorine  :)

grinling

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 21:51 »
try not to over water as it deters deep root growth.

xx
water logged garden

Started by cwblush on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 17:40
by DeadlyNightshade
xx
Using burn water to water vegetables

Started by Marketa on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 14:24
by grinling
xx
should i water?

Started by hermon on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 18:54
by mumofstig
xx
water

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2021, 17:31
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 38 queries.